In answer to your question as best I can. Lamiglass is going to have a smaller diamiter the the spg's. This equates into less weight. Also one thing to consider is the about of fibers vs resin. The lighter the rod the more fibers the more stronger. That being said compared to the spg's lamiglass is expensive. You have to ask yourself a few questions. Am I going to use this rod a lot or a little. How much do I really want to spend on the rod. Lamiglass is going to come with the ferrules installed. with the spg's you have to iinstall them unless you find a 2 piece blank (good luck with that). If you are not concerned about the materials used (cork, reelseat, etc) you can build one for the cost of a lamiglass blank. In a short rod I don't think the weight will come into play that much, but if you have physical impairments a ounce can seem like a pound after a hours worth of fishing. I am just getting into the world of eglass spinning rods turned into flyrods. Tell ya what. I am in the tadpole swap. I will be doing 2 rods one for the swap and the other for myself. If you just want a basic rod I will build it for $50.00 plus shipping for ya. Should be a 5 weight when finished. This is built on a spg780 blank.