+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jell-O in Yellowstone Lake

Default Images

Images of Yellowstone Cutthroat: http://gallery.photo.net/photo/6606424-md.jpg (Photo was taken by a person from Pennsylvania)

http://www.jonlong.com/blog/uploaded...t_2-756529.jpg

Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Another puzzling thing is that "must kill" rules are NOT consistent throughout the two national parks, Grand Teton and Yellowstone. Lakers are NOT native to ANY waters there so why is not the "must kill" requirement applied throughout both park waters? The inconsistent policy creates confusion and helps to prolong the problem.

Mark

nighthawk Guest

Being from a Great Lakes sate I can certainly appreciate why the "Lakers" are so devastating in a fishery where they have no natural predator. They can get rather large although this one may be exceptionally so:

http://www.reelfishingreports.com/ph...lake-trout.jpg

If the intent is to eliminate the species that was illegally inroduced then why not encourage the public to harvest them? I am not familiar with the troubled waters so I ask if there is anything about the waters or regulations that prevent this? Do the regulations need to be modified in a manner allows for culling/illimimnation of this species not harmful to the waters?

In my opinion, there are not enough people/visitors, that fish in Yellowstone Lake. Lake Trout are also more difficult to locate, because they inhabit deep water for most of the year. Yellowstone Cutts are easier to catch, so that is what visitors target.
    I don't think it is realistic that Lake Trout could be eliminated from Yellowstone Lake. The Government Grant is only to study what the best course of action would be. Here is a Quote from Phil Cooper, Idaho Fish & Game, Topic: Lake Pend Oreille: "It's not realistic, nor is it our goal to eliminate lake trout completely from Lake Pend Oreille but what we want to do is manage lake trout at a level where they don't risk collapsing native cutthroat and bull trout populations; or important sport fisheries, like kokanee and rainbow."
    End Quote.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

nighthawk Guest

uh-Ooh, sounds like the lake has additional serious threats to the Cut throats in addition to the lakers:

http://www.yellowstoneparknet.com/fi...egulations.php

The most effective fishing that I know of for lakers in the Great Lakes is through the use of motor boats, down riggers and trolling with spoons/lures. I don't think I would want to see that done on Yellowstone Lake. Ironic that out there we are talking getting rid of the lakers while the Great Lakes are struggling to increase their populations. The Sea Lamprey, another nonative invasive species, devastated the Lake Trout in our area.

Wonder what they do with the catch. If they are as good eating as any lakers we consumed, it seems there would be a market for canned lakers. They outta be at least as good as farmed salmon....and not nearly so controversial.
    Ain't it just like humans, spend tons to try to eradicate or control something which has proven to have been detrimentally introduced into an environ which suits it (lakers in Yellowstone L and pike in Davis L) and we also spend tons to unsuccessfully try to retain fisheries in environs we have destroyed (salmonids on much of the west coast....Russian River).

....lee s.

This is the Yellowstone Cutthroat: http://mrffs.com/yellowstonecuthroat.jpg
    If it was any other species of Cutthroat, it probably wouldn't matter, that Lake Trout, were mixed among them.
    Doug

Default We humans...

Yep, lee s has it right. We just can't leave well enough alone. Recent history certainly bears that out doesn't it. On a piscatorial note, another CA lake that was rotenoned is near the town of Mt. Shasta. The fin and fur authority decided the introduced lake trout had become trash fish, so of course they had to kill the lake.

They were very proud of themselves once the lake had been re-established as a decent rainbow and brook trout impoundment. I'm sure they know that not all of the lakers were killed with the rotenone and I certainly do.

One I got a look at was prolly a 48 incher and for some reason was cruising along at the same speed of my drifting jon-boat, in the shadow created by same. Anyway, good point lee s...and no, we humans sure can't leave anything just 'be'.

MontanaMoose

+ Reply to Thread