+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Strike Indicators

Question Strike Indicators

I am sure this has probably been discussed, but I am not having any luck finding it. I know some don't use them and I envy you that skill, but I am new at this and would like to catch a fish every once in a while. So, what is your prefered strike indicator?

thanks,
    hNt
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

This is not what you want to hear, but there is no BETTER strike indicator, but there are PREFERRED options.
    I make closed cell foam indicators that look like a fluffy yarn indicator but float better.
    But my favorite indicator is to use a stimulator (Kaufmann's or Sofa Pillow)
    The hottest thing in Colorado looks like a gum ball size plastic bubble.
    Oklahoma fishermen seem to prefer small yarn in a "Y" shape.

I have seen many fish caught on styrofoam corks you could use for bluegill.

If you get into agressive fish (including trout), the indicator is going to go down like you were after sunfish.
    If you get into typical trout, ANY change in the indicator's movement is probably a strike.

Many trout fishermen tell you the fish can be scared by an indicator. That seems to be less true every year.

These are good for only a couple of adjustments but are great if used for midging. And be sure to dispose of your waste properly.
    Jon Joy

"A jerk at one end of the line is enough."

Member Ozark Fly Fishers http://www.ozarkflyfishers.org/

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hungNtree View Post
    So, what is your prefered strike indicator?
    thingamabobbers!

Last edited by Normand; 02-11-2009 at 09:36 AM.

Blog Entries

Smile Strike Indicators

Over the years I have tried many different strike indicators.

The little sticky foam type--makes a mess on the leader and not easy to adjust.

The poly yarn type--way too much air resistance and they sink low in the water, and the O Ring causes big kinks in the leader as you adjust the depth.

The foam/O Ring indicators--way too much air resistance and the O Ring causes big kinks in the leader as you adjust the depth.

The foam type with the slit down the side and a rubber insert that you twist your leader around--they come off all the time I don't care how much you twist, which also can cause kinks in the leader.

Biostrike type paste--too messy for me, gets all over everything.

Short pieces of hollow line with bright colors--not enough floatation for the western river stonefly nymphs and multi fly type rigs.

Any type of indicator that uses a toothpick to crimp down on the leader--my tippet can catch that toothpick and cause a heck of a mess, no matter how close you trim the toothpick, yet you have to grab the toothpick to adjust the depth.

Balloons--OMG, give me a break. I used them once when the guide said they were great and he had already rigged it. The O Ring causes big kinks in the leader as you adjust the depth and they will loose air. I took it off and handed him my preferred brand to use the rest of the day.

Hard Plastic balloons--again, OMG, give me a break. I had one guide tell me that they were far more sensitive than other types and he had already rigged my line so I gave it a try. Again, the bad kink in the leader (which you should be able to tell my now, really bugs me) and they were not any more sensitive than my preferred brand. I took it off after half a day and went to my brand.

So what do I use? My preferred strike indicator is the Frog Hair brand. Either the one time use type or the reusable type, they both work great. No kinks in the leader. You can very easily adjust the depth within seconds. They come in different sizes, so pick the one you want to use that day and it will work all day long. The only drawback is they sometimes will slide around on a leader that is too small for the size you are using. The simple solution for that is to tie in a knot at the lowest point on the leader that you know you will use that day. Then it will only slide that far. Not really much of a problem as you have to bring your rig in every so often anyway to check the hooks for trash and damage.

In my humble opinion, Frog Hair has all the others beat, hands down.

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Last edited by sagefisher; 02-11-2009 at 01:24 PM.
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

6. Default

Parachute Adams or small foam hopper. About 25% of the fish go for the "indicator".

Quote Originally Posted by FlySwatter View Post
    Parachute Adams or small foam hopper. About 25% of the fish go for the "indicator".
    +1 on the foam hopper. I use foam spiders a lot - foam body and rubber legs - works great!

(Moved to 'new' thread)

Buddy
    Last edited by Buddy Sanders; 02-11-2009 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Moved...
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Buddy you have peek my interest, any links pictures of your preferred strike detection devices.
    Jon Joy

"A jerk at one end of the line is enough."

Member Ozark Fly Fishers http://www.ozarkflyfishers.org/

Quote Originally Posted by FlySwatter View Post
    I'm with FlySwatter. If I am going to use an indicator than a small yellow popper with 8" - 12" (sometimes as much as 18") is a deadly combo.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

+ Reply to Thread