Yesterday I received a few brochures from the New York State DEC. Shown on the front is a picture of one of the yellow signs:

PUBLIC FISHING
STREAM

Public fishing rights are restricted
to the stream and banks
designated by these signs
Access at designated points.
Activities other than fishing are unlawful
avoid tresspass on other lands.
rights provided under easements
secured from landowners

RESPECT THEIR PROPERTY

N. Y. S. DEPARTMENT OF
ENVIRONMENTAL CONSERVATION

The program has been going since 1935. During that time, nearly 1,200 miles of PFR easements have been purchased on over 350 streams across the state. The landowners participating are the key to its success. Our children and theirs will be able to enjoy fishing.

The above paragraph has been paraphrased from the brochure.

billknepp
I lived in Syracuse for 12 years. There were trout streams all over the place. True, they probably didn't all run within a half mile of Salina street.

There were Nine mile and Skaneateles Outlet to the west, Limestone and Butternut to the east. The headwaters of Onondaga to the south. One that was a sewer when I lived there, Ley Creek is in the process of being cleaned up. I have been told that it was once a good Brook Trout stream but nobody is old enough to remember.

When I was visiting Syracusea few years back, I saw a tiny brook, not much more than a ditch that was loaded with water cress and had the appearance of trout water. This was in the middle of an urban area mid summer.

Within a half hour you have the Salmon River and a whole bunch of streams, too numerous to list before you get there. When I lived there no one asked permission, maybe thats changed. There are places in Pa where you'd better ask! Instead of the state purchasing rights clubs and people from New Jersey are buying them up and they "got guns".

Perhaps you want to feel as though you are exploring new land and checking out some rough country. Been there, done that too! Take a compass in case it clouds over. I, like Ponce De Leon never found what I was looking for but found some Brookie streams with 6 inch brookies...little else to remember other than the black flies.

Ol' Bill