The right to fish along some parts of streams in New York State has been bought and paid for. These stretches are marked by yellow signs.

Funds for more "public fishing rights" (PFR's) are available at this time, at least in Region 8. When you are seeking permission to fish along a particular stretch, think of how nice it would be to fish without having to ask permission.

PFRs give fishers the right to fish along the marked stretch within a certain distance of the water...I believe about two rods (33ft) but this varies. The land itself may be posted or not and the PFRs do not allow one to cross posted land! There are designated access spots sometimes with parking lots and a path to the stream.

Payment for the rights can be considerable and there is extra paid for access.

In some cases, PFRs are only for one side of the stream while others are for both sides.
The land is still owned by the person who sold the rights and the owner still has use of the land and can still post it.

When the landowner is paid for these rights, its forever...and the fact that the land is sold to a new owner does not change things. The PFRs go on in perpetuity.

All in all I think that its a good program and those who handle the legalities also have other duties so progress is slow.

I have been a volunteer in the program at the grass roots level for some time.
The main problem I have in my initial contacts with landowners is prior bad will. Some of us are not too good at diplomacy and feel that they already have all the rights they need to fish, litter, use loud and foul language etc anywhere along the stream.
PLEASE... when you are fishing on someone's property, treat the owners and their property with the utmost respect. A very few of us have not learned that yet!

Ol' Bill