+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Zero G Tip vs. Midflex

Question Zero G Tip vs. Midflex

I admit I'm ignorant about this--so I'd appreciate enlightenment from you folks out there. I notice the Orvis Zero G seems to come in two varieties: a "Tip-flex" and a "Mid-flex". Am I correct in assuming the tip-flex is with distance in mind and the mid-flex with accuracy as the primary criterion or are there some other factors? I'm thinking of splurging for a Zero G in 5 weight. It is seldom my casts would land the fly more than 50 to 60 feet from where I am standing--based on the fishing I usually do.
    Have any of you tried out this rod in both varieties? What did you think?
    Thanks for your impressions!
    ggh

I have the mid flex Zero G. I also have a couple of other cheaper rods with a tip flex. I guess you're right in the thought of the tip flex being with distance in mind unless you're trying to suit the rod to your casting style in which case if you have a quick short stoke you'd want the tip flex, most other strokes would go to the mid flex. The mid flex allows for a more delicate presentation then the tip flex, allows for easier short casting and you can cast pretty darn far with it too. 50 to 60 ft easy. chucked 85 ft today with the mid flex and I suck.

Smile Thanks for the information

Joe,
    I appreciate your take on the Orvis Zero G. By the way, do you know if it is made in the U.S.A. or is it an Asian import?
    Thanks again,
    ggh

Normand Guest

orvis tip flex index

http://www.orvis.com/intro.asp?subject=24

the orvis website states they are made in manchester, vermont
    Last edited by Normand; 02-10-2009 at 05:25 PM.

Made at Orvis in USA. Fact I think you can tour their rod buiding facility in Manchester.

I have an Orvis Helios 908 - 4 tip flex & have tried lots of line combinations with it using 7, 8 & 9 wt lines. It performs pretty well at short & medium ranges with all the combinations I've tried but likes 8 wt. line the best at long range.
    So ggh, I think, based on my experience, the tip flex will perform fine both at short and long range but will probably need a faster casting stroke than the mid flex. I'd say which you pick depends on you casting style.
    No matter which you buy I think you'll love it. They are wonderfully light & responsive rods.

Default mid vs tip flex

You're basically right about the flex and distance. Some folks just prefer a mid flex, also considered a slower or moderate action. We believe that it is much easier to cast a slower or mid flex rod with more accuracy. As for distance, unless you routinely cast out 80-90 feet of line, it won't make much of a difference, at least not to me and most folks. Hope that helps.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by joe west View Post
    Made at Orvis in USA. Fact I think you can tour their rod buiding facility in Manchester.
    You can. It's actually very interesting. If you go it will most likely be just you or at least a very small group. They show you the whole process of making the rods, answer any questions, etc. They still have the original bamboo rod making equipment too and it still gets used - - that stuff is antigues. The tour is really worth it if you are in the area.

If you do go, make sure you stop in at the American Museum of Fly Fishing which is just across the Orvis parking lot in their own building.

+ Reply to Thread