Being one that followed the whole non-sense from the beginning I couldn't agree more. I still have the original document from the Federal Register for the public comment period. And the amount of lead they say is lost?? well lets just say I have the same 1/2 oz sinker that was on my catfish pole during the season.

As Bob said the studies were WAY flawed and it has come out that they were, but it hasn't stopped the non-sense. Up here in Vermont sinkers to be lead have to be 1/2 oz or more, jigs are okay (but the small pure lead panfish ones they want you to use something other than lead).

The original study went on to say that cost to home molders of sinkers, jigs, split shot etc. wouldn't be more than $40 a YEAR, yes YEAR!!!!! Yeah well I got news for them, just pricing to get a NON_LEAD mix of
70% Bismuth/ 30% tin which will mean a 1/2 oz sinker only weighs about 2/3rds of a real lead sinker the cost per lb is about $17, but you have to buy a minimum of 5 pounds with some companies, and others have a minimum of 50 lbs because they have to make that mix it's a special order.

I've switched the split shot to tin cause here in VT we have to and my less than 1/2 oz sinkers I have to buy cause I don't have the money to switch to Non-Lead yet, but my large sinkers and jigs are pure lead or tire weight lead. If my state bans it I'm in BIG TROUBLE as my stock of clean lead will be worth about 35-45 cents a lb.

Fatman