+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need Some Patterns

Hybrid View

Default Need Some Patterns

Hello,

I am new to tying and I need some good patterns that are not to hard to tie. I am in northern michigan if that helps.

There are a few eeeeasy ones.
    San juan worm takes 3 steps, and only needs chenille and thread.
    http://www.questoutdoors.net/skills/..._juan_worm.php
    Here are some easy foam ones I like to tie.
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flyt...ate/part42.php

Get ready, I'll start ya off. The wooley bugger will catch EVERYTHING, tied in a multitude of sizes in Olive, Black, White, Yellow, Brown, what ever ya got. Hares ears, stonefly nymphs, For dries just tie some generic imitations, adams, parachutes, stimulaters, ants, poppers,hoppers. same with steamers, general patterns, clousers, marabou minnows, bucktails. Once you become more aware of your local forage base you'll be able to imitate them more accuratley. Try turning up rocks, logs, leaves and such in the waters you are fishing and you should be able to find what you need nymph related, watch what bugs are flyng around in the spring and early summer, and have some minnow/sculpin/baitfish imitations. Trial and error will dictate which ones you will cocentrate your efforts on. Good luck Iam sure you will get some more localized info soon. Welcome to FAOL there is no need to look any further.

cdpaul,

The best advise I can give you is to go to http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/beginners/ . Start at the beginning and work your way through the entire series of flies.

While doing this you will build the necessary skills to become a proficient fly tier, capable of tying almost any fly. Don't shortchange yourself, start at the beginning and build from there.
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

The Green Weenie is easy and can be tied with or without a bead head.

#14 or 12 hook, chartreuse chenille, thread, bead optional.

Tie in chartreuse chenille at bend of hook. Create a small loop for a tail, a little less than the hook gap. Tie in this loop with a few wraps of thread and wrap the thread up to near the hook eye. Wrap the chenille in close wraps up to about a hook-eye gap from the hook eye and tie off. Clip the chenille and either half-hitch or whip finish.

Have fun, and from one new member to another, welcome aboard. They told me the new guy buys, so I'm glad to no longer be the new guy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread