Quote Originally Posted by James Smith View Post
If you look at the craft stores either Michaels or Hobby Lobby, you'll find a box that has 14 individual locking compartments; 7 on each side. It is used for beading and has a rounded bottom, but the big advantage is the locking mechanism and the fact that each compartment has it's own lid. You have to push a rod at the end of the box, then open the compartment you want to access. That way if you accidently drop the box, only the open compartment will dump the hooks. Still a bit of a mess, but a LOT less hassel than 14 compartments of similar size/model hooks scattering out on the rug and you have to find them a sort them. These boxes are cheap so you can get one for each kind of hook, (i.e. dry fly, scud, etc).

Jim Smith
Jim - that's the exact box that I have. Right now it has bead heads, cone heads, and the like in it. I was looking for a couple more for hooks.

All - I hadn't thought about the magnets. Makes sense. Do you put the magnet in the bottom of the compartment or would it work to glue it on to the bottom on the outside? I have a magnetic strip mounted on my tying table next to my vice where I'll lay out six, eight, ten, or twelve hooks for my "production" tying.

Ducksterman - I like the peg board and split rings. I'm not quite at that stage yet, but I like it. Something to work towards!

Thanks everyone!