+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 9' or 9'6" in 8wt.

Default 9' or 9'6" in 8wt.

I have a fast (Legend Ultra)and a moderate/fast (Sage RPL) 9' 8wt rod. I'm toying with getting a 9'6" Legend because it may help keep more line in the air and may help in mending line on the water. Is either of these true and is it a noticeable difference? I've never thrown the longer rod. I fish steelhead and silvers with a WF line.

Thanks in advance for input from your experiences.

Ole

A longer rod may help with mending but keeping line in the air is casting mechanics,not rod length.Let me also say that my go-to rod for the salt is a Sage 890 RPL and I bought an 896 RPL thinking it would be better but those extra 6in made the rod heavier and put more stress on my wrist.It was noticeably different than the 9 footer so I sold it.I could not carry any more line with the longer rod either.You might want to cast a 9.5 ft rod and see for yourself before you buy.

Brfore you try a longer rod, try a line with a longer head. The longer the head, the more line you can aerialize. I think that several of the steelhead lines have a longer head.

Kevin

I purchased a 9'6" 9wt after only a few in-store waggles and have regretted the purchase.
    The extra length adds weight to toward the tip and extra weight in the rod overall makes a dayof many casts exhausting.
    I've also owned a 10' 10wt and WHOA you talk about exhausting.
    Other than blue water, I can't think of much you can't do just as well with a 9' 8wt.

The longer the rod, the harder (get sore quicker too) itis to stop. Stopping the rod is what forms the front and back loop. If you make fewer casts and stack-mend all of them, go all the way to a ten foot rod. Just be fair, to the manufacturer and yourself. Use the right rod for the right job.

Thumbs up

JC ... 100% spot on (as usual )

I have very few 9'6" rods. They are either 8'6" - 9' ...or else 10 ft.

Stopping a longer rod is VERY tiring, especially in the heavy weights! The longer rod can help mending (depending on the rod ... and the angler ). I use the Guns to mend a lot ... After LF and JC gave me some personalized casting pointers, I can cast pretty well just as far with a 9ft as a 10 ft.

The longer rod helps me "play" more, ... lifting MORE line in a pickup, mending etc. But, IMHO, ... it doesn't help me cast FARTHER, nor hold up more line in the air.

my 0.02$ (cdn ... so take it with a grain of salt!!)
    Christopher Chin

The longer rod excels at handling more line on the water. The extra length gives you more reach. If that is important to you go for it if it isn't don't waste your money.

I have a 9.6ft 8 wt. I use this specifically for salmon & steelhead fishing. A 10ft 7 wt is probably more ideal for steelhead but with salmon in the fall run, I'm trying to avoid buying two rods.
    JC is correct...it's harder to cast for the reasons stated. The advantage to me is for handling those sudden explosive runs these big fish make, and for staying in better contact while dead drifting flies under the surface. It also helps some with the mending but like JC said, you can do that with pile mends and other techniques. Long rods are often used for czech nymphing, but lighter rods are usually employed. Ten foot 5wt rods are becoming more common up here, as are switch rods and spey. It all depends on the type of water you fish, what species and how many rods you want to end up buying in the long run.
    Last edited by Mato Kuwapi; 02-10-2009 at 02:40 AM.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

Default mending with longer rod

It is easier to mend with the longer rod. More people are trending that way as well.

Ron

+ Reply to Thread