+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Casting Help

Question Casting Help

Can anyone suggest a book or video to help me with my casting after years of Baseball (high school and college) my shoulder is in pretty bad shape. I have recently tried using the "Lefty Kreh method" but just does not feel right. The other problem I have is that I do not have a fly shop near me to help with this problem. When I have been casting for about an hour or hour and a half using the larger bass flies I use (I normally use a 3 or 4 wt and even have tried a 8 wt) I start feeling it pretty good and have to stop. I also have noticed that the distance I use to have is just not there when I need to reach out a good long ways. I have been trying to get in closer so that the distance is not the problem but ... still like to have it. Any advice would be much welcomed
    If at first you don't succeed ... Then sky diving may not be the sport for you

I am brand new at this, so I am pretty sure I am the worst one here to try to give advice. I have been watching scientific anglers videos, Basic Fly Casting and Advanced Fly Casting with Doug Swisher. Everything I had read had made me believe that you were not suppose to use your wrist. But in these videos Doug uses what he calls the "micro-second wrist" I am not sure if that will help your shoulder or not. You still have to use your shoulder, but the quick snap of your wrist may take some of the edge off your shoulder. If you would like to try one, just PM me your address, I'll loan it to you. Just send it back when you are done. If I was good at this I'd let you have it, but I still watch them a couple of times a week.
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

nighthawk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Threedayweekend View Post
    Can anyone suggest a book or video to help me with my casting after years of Baseball (high school and college) my shoulder is in pretty bad shape. I have recently tried using the "Lefty Kreh method" but just does not feel right. The other problem I have is that I do not have a fly shop near me to help with this problem. When I have been casting for about an hour or hour and a half using the larger bass flies I use (I normally use a 3 or 4 wt and even have tried a 8 wt) I start feeling it pretty good and have to stop. I also have noticed that the distance I use to have is just not there when I need to reach out a good long ways. I have been trying to get in closer so that the distance is not the problem but ... still like to have it. Any advice would be much welcomed
    If you can give us a little more info on your gear it might help. I assume since you are tossing large bass flies we are talking some heavier lines and long rods.

Sounds to me like you may be trying too hard and not just letting the gear do the work. For what it is worth after an hour of throwing bass bugs I take a break. Do not be too tough on yourself as I think most of us would be feeling it after an hour of casting. I go for a short hike, take a few photos and then go back to fishing or take the time to drive to a new fishing location.

nighthawk Guest

Oops, I see you mentioned 3, 4 and 8 weights. If I am going after bass the lightest I usually use is a 5wt. I find the best for me to be from 5-8 wt with a rod of 7'6"-9' in length. I believe the heavier line, heavier than 3-4wt will actually help you cast further, with more accuracy and less effort. The heavier lines will more easily turn over the larger, heavier bass bugs. These bugs also have a higher aerodynamic drag.

There are also plenty of light, powerful, 8-9 foot rods out there that if rigged with a nice, lightweight reel should work well for you. One of my favorites is a Gander Mountain Pro Guide Series 9 foot rod, Redington Red.Dot 5/6 reel and a Cortland Fairplay WF6F Floating Rocket Taper line.

Default My 2 cents

I have arm problems also and like to toss larger flies. #1 - An hour to an hour and a half is a LONG time to cast. Take some breaks. #2 - Make sure you are sizing your flies/hooks to your rod size. If you are trying to toss too big a fly it will wear you out sooner. #3 - Are you using a Bass Taper line. It really does help in throwing larger flies. #4 - Try double hauling and letting the hauls do the work, not the rod and your arm. I am getting to the point (unless I am really trying for long distance) where I am using only my arm from the elbow down. My shoulder plays very little to no part in the cast. #5 - Exercise your arms. Get a piece of dowel rod and tie a pound weight (can of soup) with rope long enough to hit the floor when you hold the rod out from your body. Wind the weight up and down a few times.

I have gone to a 6wt for all my Bass fishing. I only use an 8 for Steelheading where I'm doing a lot of nymphing. I may not be able to throw huge Bass flies, but my arm stays attached and that's a good thing.
    To Miss Nancy - She hated fishing, but loved a fisherman.

Since I really have no experiance using bass flies, I won't make any suggestions on equipment. The few occasions I do go warm water fishing I usually just use streamers (most of the warm water species in RI are quite small & I haven't gotten the urge to start tying bass flies yet).

As far as picking up a new way to casting, it may take awhile to get comfortable using a style that is different from what you are used too. You may never get used to it but I wouldn't give up trying, you never know you may come to prefer it.

As others have said, if you arm gets tired after an hour take a break. If you push to hard the first hour your fishing your arm will be junk the rest of the day. I also suggest pacing yourself better as well, take a little more time between cast.

A final suggestion is if your shoulder bothers you from injuries and wear from younger days you might want to talk to your doctor. He/she might not be able to do anything medicly for you but he/she may be able to help you find some exercises to strengthen you shoulder and to loosen your shoulder before you start fishing.

You might go to the Federation of Fly Fishers site and find a casting instructor in your area. I would try to work with a master instructor; however, a certified instructor may be able to help our quite a bit. Then pay for a lesson or two. The instructor should be able to see what you are doing wrong - if anything -- and make suggestion to improve your technique or help your casting so that it isn't hurting your arm/shoulder.

I don't see anything from you about the double-haul. Is there ny chance you don't know how to do it? It sure takes the work off of just one arm casting.

Quote Originally Posted by Threedayweekend View Post
    Can anyone suggest a book or video to help me with my casting
    You could try Joan Wulff's or Mel Krieger's DVD's. Both are excellent and use a more vertical style of casting.

I also have the Doug Swisher videos. His style is similar to Lefty's, but he does emphasize the wrist more.

Uncle Barry Guest

Good morning 3DW
    If you cannot lift something with one hand, then most people use two hands.

Therefore I would suggest to you, look into the exciting World of Two Handed fly rods, the Doubles.

Be it a Spey or a Switch rod type and say goodbye to your shoulder problem and start to enjoy the easy and thrill of casting/fishing from locations that have no space for a backcast.

If I can be of any help, please feel free to ask anything as its the quickest way to save money and learn.

Kind regards,
    UB

+ Reply to Thread