+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who have you met on the river?

Hybrid View

Default Who have you met on the river?

The fishing phrases thread got me to thinking. Oh come on now, you don't have to duck, my brain ain't that dangerous. Anyway who have you met while out fishing?

Someone mentioned meeting Larry Csonka. 4 or 5 years ago while fishing the Grande Ronde River I had to stop casting to allow a couple of rafts to float by. In the front of one of them was this huge guy. As they got closer I seemed to recognize him but couldn't quite figure out who it was. He asked how the fishing was and also asked about the 2 handed rod I was using. It was about then that I realized it was Csonka.

I wasn't at this one but a couple of friends were fishing for steelhead in Canada and stopped for the day. While loading their gear in the car a couple of other fishermen were doing the same at another vehicle. Talking to them about the day's fishing one of my friends tells one of the other guys that his voice sounded familiar and wondered if he might know him from someplace. The guy said that he might have seen him on the evening news; his name was Tom Brokaw.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

Years ago, I was planning to go Salmon fishing with a friend from work. The day before, my wife mentioned she had heard Guide Steve Kohler was going to take ex Pres. Jimmy Carter fishing, the same day. Our boat, along with about 5 others, were anchored in a Hog Line out on the Willamette River. We all noticed a group of boats coming down the Clackamas River, toward us, and sure enough, there was Jimmy Carter. No one said a word, until his boat got close, and in unison, we all yelled "HI JIMMY!" He smiled and waved back at us. I remember his group of boats just motored up and down the Willamette that day, I don't think they did much fishing.
    Doug
    Last edited by DShock; 02-07-2009 at 03:05 PM.
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

When I was about 10 or so, I was off fishing by myself on the Bumping River (Washington). I was in the middle of a hot bite, when another fisherman wandered down, sat on a rock and watched me fish. I offered to move out and let him have a chance in the small pool, but he just sat and watched as I caught my limit of fat little rainbows.

It was only later that I saw a photo of Justice William Douglas, and my observer was the spitting image. Douglas had a summer cabin nearby at Goose Prairie. While I couldn't say for sure that it was Douglas, I've always wondered.

Blog Entries

Unfortunately Csonka is being seen by lots of folks here in AK as he lives here now and is filming his shows here frrequently. His reputation is pretty well flushed at this point. Many lodges have kicked him out mid-stay and told him the advertising he promised was not enough... He has met other folks fishing and attempted to force them out so he could do his filming.

I personally know a number of folks that entered agreements with him and regret them.

Another local writer and fishing guide, Chris Batin, has a similar reputation for being a complete jerk and I only mention it because I have seen video... He cut the line on a king salmon as a friend's young daughter was fighting it. This after rudely pulling in second to a huge hole and anchoring in a spot just to create problems for the people fishing above him. The video clearly shows him take a knife to the line as it passed his boat. There are many folks with similar Batin stories.
    art

No household names. Just a bunch of friendly, courteous & helpful folks with whom I am proud to have shared the water. That's good enough for me.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Once met Ben Rothlisberger and his Dad on Taneycomo.
    I was working at Bass Pro when George Bush (#41) visited - I know, we weren't on the water, but it was still kinda cool.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ohiotuber View Post
    No household names. Just a bunch of friendly, courteous & helpful folks with whom I am proud to have shared the water. That's good enough for me.
    Mike
    What he said!

Jerry
    Dream the Life ~ Live the Dream

Blog Entries

Well, as modest as I am, I have to wonder who has me ME on the river. I was sitting in a restaurant in CA once, and a fisherman came up to me and said "Excuse me, are you....?" Kind of scary, since I did not recognize him at all. Apparently I had met him on the river once, got to talking, and took pity on his newbieness and showed him around for a day. And had completely forgotten.

Blaino and one of his fishbuds did about the same thing to me on the water one day, too. I thought he was someone else, tho, and he never did introduce himself *S*. I may not have been the most polite that time, for which I am sorry.

And I have met a bunch of FAOLers. Good people, and I could care less whether they might be famous somewhere or not.

Do ponds count? If so, I met and was able to fish with an old, and back then, long time poster on FAOL -- Reuel, who was incredibly nice and with a very off the wall sense of humor. He also opened his fly box, as did I, and we poked over each other's flies. A nice and generous man. Rick Nelson, Wrangler, Kevin from St. Paul and a bunch of other FAOL'ers I've either fished with or met at shows. Dotman was another. JGW

I met and talked to Dick Cheyney at a small airport in BC right after the 1st Gulf War. He was on a fishing trip just like us. He was Sec. of Defense at the time.

+ Reply to Thread