The fishing phrases thread got me to thinking. Oh come on now, you don't have to duck, my brain ain't that dangerous. Anyway who have you met while out fishing?

Someone mentioned meeting Larry Csonka. 4 or 5 years ago while fishing the Grande Ronde River I had to stop casting to allow a couple of rafts to float by. In the front of one of them was this huge guy. As they got closer I seemed to recognize him but couldn't quite figure out who it was. He asked how the fishing was and also asked about the 2 handed rod I was using. It was about then that I realized it was Csonka.

I wasn't at this one but a couple of friends were fishing for steelhead in Canada and stopped for the day. While loading their gear in the car a couple of other fishermen were doing the same at another vehicle. Talking to them about the day's fishing one of my friends tells one of the other guys that his voice sounded familiar and wondered if he might know him from someplace. The guy said that he might have seen him on the evening news; his name was Tom Brokaw.