+ Reply to Thread

Thread: White Silk wraps ?

Hybrid View

Default White Silk wraps ?

I want clear wraps on my new rod. From reading various places it seems I want white silk to achieve this. Is there a particular brand, type, size? Anything particular that I need? Will Pearsalls tying silk work? I think I saw some at the fly shop the other day.

wayne
    ----------------
    Wayne
    Trout, Bass, Carp, Whatever!
    http://flynut.wordpress.com

Wayne,

Pearsall's Gossamer silk is used for rod wrapping as well as fly tying. I do believe your right about the white silk going clear when the finish coat goes on.
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

You are right about the silk going clear after the finish is applyed. Do not use color preserver and this will happen.

Any white silk will do the trick. In addition, colored silk threads will do the same with a tinge of the inherent color ... almost like having a "candy" effect.

The smaller the diameter, the more transparent. Some silks are a bit more refined than others. However, this photo is of a wrap done with A sized silk.

Do heat your finish a bit, the thinner and more fluid it is ... the better the penetration. Put on enough to REALLY wet it out good and remove the excess.

Hope this helps!

TJ -

Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post

TJ -
    That is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Gotta try that, thanks for the tips.

Actually, I think nylon goes clear too, as I tried to duplicate the Sage XP wraps with some success with the Goldenrod thread. Didn't like the color, but the effect was there. You might try some different threads on a piece of scrap graphite. Somebody said you could try just wetting it with water to see what the effect would be, but I haven't tried that.

Any white silk will do the trick. In addition, colored silk threads will do the same with a tinge of the inherent color ... almost like having a "candy" effect.

The smaller the diameter, the more transparent. Some silks are a bit more refined than others. However, this photo is of a wrap done with A sized silk.

Do heat your finish a bit, the thinner and more fluid it is ... the better the penetration. Put on enough to REALLY wet it out good and remove the excess.

Hope this helps!

TJ -

I've tried varnish on a cane rod, never did graphite. What finish are you using? What's best solution to be used on wraps on graphite rods? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cane_ru View Post
    I've tried varnish on a cane rod, never did graphite. What finish are you using? What's best solution to be used on wraps on graphite rods? Thanks
    I use Flexcoat Lite with Ultra V (UV inhibitor). When I want to do translucent or transparent wraps, I make sure to warm the finish to lower the viscosity. This WILL result in a shorter working time, but it is necessary to properly penetrate the thread for the desired look.

удача

TJ -

That's what I am looking for!!

Thanks!
    wayne

Hope this helps!

TJ -
    ----------------
    Wayne
    Trout, Bass, Carp, Whatever!
    http://flynut.wordpress.com

Default clear wraps

The tying thread may be ok if it's not a heavy weight rod. As for style, test it out on a broken blank or pencil to make sure you get the finish you're after. White may work the best if you want it as clear as possible. Hope that helps.

Ron

+ Reply to Thread