+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: White Silk wraps ?

IMO, the "wasting" of epoxy is overrated. Buy a bigger bottle, do testing, mix larger batches that are less prone to error AND mix a new batch when the one you are working with isn't the proper consistency.

Epoxy is VERY inexpensive when compared to components, your time and the horrible aggravation that sets in when things don't go right.

Thanks for advice TJ, maybe I'll get my hands on a carbon blank some day, will try that, those clear wraps look really good.

Удачи!

Transparent wraps can be hard to achieve w/o a "ghosting" or silvering effect. You have to try all methods on some srcap blanks as previously stated.See which works best for you. 'boo and glass both look great w/ transparent wraps.I used YLI silk in size #100

That's what I am looking for!!

Thanks!
    wayne

Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post

Any white silk will do the trick. In addition, colored silk threads will do the same with a tinge of the inherent color ... almost like having a "candy" effect.

The smaller the diameter, the more transparent. Some silks are a bit more refined than others. However, this photo is of a wrap done with A sized silk.

Do heat your finish a bit, the thinner and more fluid it is ... the better the penetration. Put on enough to REALLY wet it out good and remove the excess.

Hope this helps!

TJ -
    ----------------
    Wayne
    Trout, Bass, Carp, Whatever!
    http://flynut.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by boarmountain View Post
    Transparent wraps can be hard to achieve w/o a "ghosting" or silvering effect.
    Great looking wraps boarmountain. Are they also finished with epoxy on your bamboo rod? What do you mean by "ghosting or silvering effect", is it a technique or is it just another name for making the wraps transparent?

Ghosting or silvering is NOT a wanted effect. It is caused by micro air bubbles in the silk. I use two types of varnish to achieve the clear wraps. First couple of coats w/ amber varnish, than finish with spar varnish. Golden Witch sells the amber varnish. It is expensive, but you use very little and it works best for me.

Do some searches on Clark's Bamboo Forum. Some of the guy's over there do some awesome wraps. Some use a mixture of Varnish and Walnut Alkyd.

http://clarksclassicflyrodforum.yuku...59#reply-14059

The above has some awesome wrap pics.

http://clarksclassicflyrodforum.yuku...60#reply-13460

http://clarksclassicflyrodforum.yuku...77#reply-47277

Hope it's OK to link to these.

I haven't tried it yet but the walnut alkyd is fairly inexpensive. I do have an 8 oz. bottle and could send out an ounce or two if anybody is interested.

Erik

Definitly not taking anything away from Mike's beautiful wraps.
    Last edited by Erik Osterby; 02-10-2009 at 05:33 AM.

Default clear wraps

The tying thread may be ok if it's not a heavy weight rod. As for style, test it out on a broken blank or pencil to make sure you get the finish you're after. White may work the best if you want it as clear as possible. Hope that helps.

Ron

+ Reply to Thread