Hi Don, If your backing, flyline, and leader hasn't been put on your reel yet, then I would suggest taking your rig to a local flyshop and ask them to rig your reel. They will want to know if you reel with your right or left hand. If your flyline has a loop to loop connection for attaching your leader your set... If not you can ask them to add a Butt section to your line for a loop to loop. That way, you can change leaders easily. And the Butt section is a bright red or green 20# monofilament that works as a strike indicator, but don't get confused about that yet, you'll learn more about strike indicators in books,DVD's, etc. The reason for Backing is twofold... #1, for that trophy "BIG" fish that takes you into the backing, and #2, to help with flyline memory recoil. ( if you wrap flyline in tight coils, than throw it out in front of you, the line looks like a slinky. ) Which in turn gives you a lot of slack between you and that fish. As an aspiring flyfisher, I would also recommend talking to the folks at the flyshop on any casting, flyfishing classes they may have or know of. You can learn in a short time, what took me to learn in 20+ years. As far as fly selection for the species you want to fish, they all feed on aquatic insects, and terrestrails.