+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Red Diamond

Hybrid View

Talking Red Diamond

I live in east texas and no trout live here most of my fishing is for bass , sand bass, bream. I have three rod and reel combos 6wt, 8wt,9wt i want a rod that will be more enjoyable catching bream this summer cant make up my mind on 4wt or 3wt i have never cast either and would like your imput on how they cast all my fishing is done from my bass boat
    thanks
    robin

I have a BassPro 6'3" 3wt., a BP 7' 4wt and a TFO 7'6" 3wt.
    Here's the deal -- you don't want to cast over 30 feet with any of them (yes, you can, but if you want to cast that far why not use a 9' rod?).
    I have taken several 4lb+ bass on the TFO and it is a lot of fun. The key is that you are going to use heavy tippet (6-8 lb) and the rod will be pretty limber (soft) so you're not going to horse anything in, but you're not going to break anything off either.
    For panfish I hardly every take out anything bigger than the rods described above. For trout I use a 9' rod because it's easier to mend line.
    Always, always use WF line because you will have less rod to roll cast with and you will need the extra oomph!

Red,
    either a 3 or a 4 will do for what you're describing. My combo weights are 3,4,5, and 7. Living in Kentucky, there are limited chances to fish for trout so most of my fishing is for bass, bluegill, and crappie.

I had a 7'6" 3wt that I rarely used. I bought it for fishing small streams and the reality is most of the waters I fish are lakes, ponds, and warm water streams that are not that cogged with brush. I sold the rod a while back to a guy here on FAOL who lives in an area with a lot of small streams.

I bought an 8'4" 3wt that, if springtime ever gets here, will be a better option.

All of my other rods are 9'. I find longer rods easier to cast, and they are not that much of a draw back on smaller streams. You just have to be a little more aware of what's over your head.

So, this was a long way around to say 3 or 4 in 8'6" to 9" length should be good. If it's going to be just for bream, and you want a lot of fun, go with the 3.

Jeff

for bream in lakes i would go with the longer rod 8.5' or 9'. i have the TFO pro in an 8.5' 3wt. it's a med/fast action that can easily throw a 4wt line, if needed. my other 3wt is a st croix, avid 7'. it's very nice for throwing dries and unweighted nymphs but is mainly for up close fishing.

For the most fun go for the TFO 2 weight 8' I just love hooking into pan fish with it so far my larbest bass was 2.5 pounds.
    Tight Lines

Thumbs up

Red Diamond,

I fish for Bluegills and use a Cabale's 3-Piece Three Forks, 7'6", 3wt ($50.00 rod only, $80.00 w/ line and reel - No Case). I've been able to wrestle with 15" Bass using this rod.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...457&id=0051114

I've also used a Cabale's 5-Piece Stowaway, 7'6", 4wt ($95.00 rod only, $140.00 w/ line, reel and case).

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...457&hasJS=true

The Stowaway is rod that casts very well (it casts better than most 7"6" 3 wt fly rods for over $300.00) and the Three Forks casts well. I'm afraid I lost my Stowaway and went to the Three Forks. I miss the Stowaway, but for $50, the Three Forks has been a good substitute.

Just my $0.02,

Vinny
    Last edited by Vinny; 02-05-2009 at 05:35 PM.

Smile

thanks for the advice on the three or four wt rods am going to bass pro this weekend to look at their rods

Robin, come over to "Fly Fish Texas" in Athens, TX on March 7. TFO is supposed to be there with all of their demo rods. That is an opportunity to cast any of their rods in any line wt. and it is a great way compare in different rods.

My personal choice for what you discribed when fishing from a bass boat is the TFO Finesse 3 wt in the 8'9" length. That is a versatile rod.

Rex

Blog Entries

I think the 3 weight would be more fun of the 2 you listed. I have a 2 and a 4 and would definitely use the 2 for gills any time. Between the 2 you are considering, I'd stick with the 3 wt. myself unless you fish in a lot of wind. I'd even suggest a 2 unless you do have frequent wind over 10 or 15 mph, then go with a 3 weight. The 4 is overkill even on bigger gills, IMO. Still fun, but if you are looking for something to "be more enjoyable catching bream this summer" then smaller is better.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

+ Reply to Thread