Many years ago, I was a Senior Instructor, in the U.S. Army. I had many MOS's (Military Occupational Skill's) that I was called upon to do Instructional Training (Training the Instructors to teach their Students).

I received orders to teach a class at Camp Pendleton (U.S. Marines), about NBC (Nuclear, Biological, & Chemical Warfare) in an Arctic Environment, when I was assigned as a Training NCO with the 6th Infantry Division (Alaska).

At Camp Pendleton, I was teaching a room full of Gunnery Sergeants, and Lieutenants. When one of the Gunny's nodded off, head hit the desktop he was sitting at. The Lieutenant next to the Gunny yelled, "On Your Feet!", and preceded to chew the Gunny's face off in my class.

I have a monotone voice, the subject matter is not the most exciting, so I did not blame the Gunny for his actions. I always felt if they could find some way to bottle military instructions into pill form, everyone would get a good nights rest. Back to the story...

When the Lieutenant was done disciplining the Gunny, the Lieutenant yelled "Take Your Seat!". While all this was going on, I was on the podium standing at attention. When the Lieutenant took his seat I said, "Sir, On Your Feet!"

I informed the Lieutenant, that this was a U.S. Army Class Room, and as the Senior Instructor, I was senior to the students and would handle the discipline inside the classroom. "" Sir! Take Your Seat!"

I then said, "Gunnery Sergeant, On Your Feet!", then I told the Gunnery Sergeant "Next War, you have my permission to shoot that Son of a Great Man!". Then I said, "Take Your Seat!".

That night at the Senior NCO Club, all my drinks were free!

Platoon Sergeant
U.S. Army, Retired

[This message has been edited by Steven H. McGarthwaite (edited 12 November 2005).]