+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question on Bamboo ferrules

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Question Question on Bamboo ferrules

I have an unferruled Boo blank. I have a scheme I want for the completed rod , which is all black guides tip top and ferrules. My questions is do they make black ferrules? I am figuring they would be aluminum if they make them. If not is there a product (and I think I remember seeing something once ) that would turn aluminum black?

Not sure if they make aluminum ferruls, but if they do you could have them anodized. If I remember correctly it shouldn't cost too much.

Default ferrules

Hi Smernsky,
    I haven't seen any nodern ferrules made of aluminium, they would crack easily. Most of them are made of nickel silver or brass, you can darken these metals with super blue or prema blue or brass black made by birchwood or other blueing solution.

Hope this helps
    Tight lines

I did some research, and I was going to suggest the same thing as Cane. I would go with the nickle ferrule and blue it.

Blog Entries

Well forget the Brass ferrules (which are chrome plated) nothing will touch that as far as bluing or brass black. So I either stay with shiny or go with nickel.which I am told will take bluing.......Thanks
    Last edited by ET custom flyrods; 02-04-2009 at 11:03 PM.

Actually I don't know if a chrome plating can be darkened with super blue or other solution. Would be great to know the results!

Smernsky;

I would go with the nickle silver ferrules. You can order them blued from several sources such as Golden Witch or REC. If you want a more black color, Birchwood Casey Brass Black will work on nickle silver. So will their Gun blue product. Try a gun shop in your area. As far as I know, chrome plated stuff cannot be blackened.
    Shaky;

Blog Entries

Cool

I had a couple chrome plated brass ferrules laying around from another project. I tried both products Perma blue and Brass balck which I had.....no dice, the chrome plating sheds all comers. Seems nickel is the way to go.........Thanks All

If you want to use chrome ferrules you could try painting them. use model airplane paint. The fuel proof dope kind that is made by either aerogloss or Sig. Any good hobby shop will know what you are talking about. I plug the ends then dip them. hang to dry and over coat that with a clear finish. Scuff up the chrome a little first to get some tooth.
    Did you try soaking the chrome ferrule in the blueing solution for about an hour? I've seen it work but it depend on the quality of the plating.

Blog Entries

I thought about paint also.........as for the bluing of the chome its to good a plating to take the blue.

+ Reply to Thread