+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9' - 4 wt. - 4 pc. Ideas, Suggestions & Pitches.

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

Question 9' - 4 wt. - 4 pc. Ideas, Suggestions & Pitches.

Good day,

I got the bug to dig out my old rod wrapping gear and maybe dress out a blank or two this spring. The only hitch in the plan so far is finding a blank that I can get enthused about rotating.

Below you'll find a list of specifications I'd like to stay within, but I'm flexible. ( with the exception of length, line weight, configuration and action. )
    If you've built a four piece, nine for four on a blank that is still in production ( commonly available ) that meets those specs and would like to share your thoughts and impressions of it as an angling tool. I'd be interested in reading your pitch, including any vendor info you'd like to pass along.

9' - 4 wt. - 4 piece

Graphite composite, Medium Fast to Fast Action.

Butt Diameter not to exceed .360

Tip no larger than a 4.

Blank weight not to exceed 1.80 oz.

Blank Price: Max. $200.00

If you drew a blank on that inquiry, here's another possibility.
    Would you know of a source that has a Sage 490-4 RPL or VPS ( not a +, light or blem ) blank still sitting around in their inventory?
    Preferably one that won't require the relinquishment of a first born male child.

A little background, I already have five, nine for fours, so this project is just that - a consumer of excess time, not one driven by any particular need. Which I suppose would explain nearly all that we do, in the name of sport.

Thank you, Dave

The TFO ticr series is 9 ft 4 piece tip is 4 butt is .355 and they weigh in at a whopping 1.6 oz. They profess to be fast I would say medium fast to fast. price $100.00. Try H &H you may be able to get them cheaper if they carry them. I know mudhole has them at $100.00. Nice blank to build and nicer to use.

Thumbs up

can't go wrong with a TFO

Look at Dan Craft. Great blanks and a better price.
    http://www.dancraftent.com/

Quote Originally Posted by RS1 View Post
    These are out of his defined dimensional parameters. But if he doesn't have one, he should.

Erik

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RS1 View Post
    Specifically the FTL or Sig V. The FTL is a 6 piece, but is very light. Both blanks are outstanding and come in a 9' 4 weight. I have an older Sig V and it is the rod I'll always have with me. I absolutely love it. Good finesse and lots of extra power if you need it.
    Last edited by ol' blue; 02-05-2009 at 12:49 PM.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

Default Vt2

I built a Sage VT2 9' 4 wt last year to let clients use in the boat and since then I have had to build two more because folks have just bought them off of me after fishing with them all day. I think it meets all your requirements. The blue blank looks good and it is a fun build. I used double foot guides wrapped with black and tipped with electric blue highlights and black and gold trim on the ferruls and handle. I like overlining it with a 5 wt line personally, but your milage may vary.

Have fun turning out whatever you choose to do.

Phil

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

Thumbs up

Hey Guys,

I appreciate all of your responses and suggestions.

I'm already onboard with the T.F.O. rods. Although having both the TiCr and the Pro, for this particular application the Pro would be a closer fit for me, although I wouldn't mind it if that rods action was a tick or two faster, but not quite that of the TiCr. The downside, I've already got the Pro in this configuration, so while it would be nice to have one dressed to the nines, it would also be redundant. Yet the idea is not out of the question.

Using two of the 9', 4 pc., four weights that I own for comparison sake, here goes nothing. On a sliding scale with the T.F.O Pro being the slowest rod I'd consider for this project and the Scott S3 being the fastest, I'd like to find something that falls comfortably in between the two.

I'll be sure to look into the Dan Craft offerings and the Sage VT2 is also one I've looked at, it may go high in the second round. Even with that big butt, I think the 490-4 comes in at .375. I'd be interested to see the original blank diameter specs of the RPL+ and the RP side by side with the those of the VT2.

I was wondering if anyone has experience with the Elkhorn Traveler, Rainshadow RX7 IM6, American Tackles Green Matrix or St. Croix SC 3 series of blanks ( particularly in the lighter weight, four piece - nine footers. ). While they don't all strictly follow the specs I proposed earlier, I would be interested in your impressions of them and the applications you've used them for.

Thanks again, Dave

I feel that the Dan Craft Signature and the CTS Affinity MX are two blanks to get excited about.

Blog Entries

I have the Batson RX8+ 904-4 that I like, it's not too fast. That or a St Croix SC4 (I have a 905-4) or SC5 would meet your specs. I have been eyeing the TFO ticr blanks, too. I have a Batson RX7 904-4 that is a noodle compared with my others, definitely not fast action, but I like it too. It has a very light feel to it with dry fly and a SA Ultra 4 line, doesn't do well with a couple nymphs, some split shot, and a bobicator. I use the RX8+ usually, for nymphing or fishing in general, the RX7 for dry flies in smaller waters, and the St Croix SC4 5wt for lake fishing because as a 5wt it casts better if the wind picks up.
    Last edited by Greg F; 02-06-2009 at 05:15 AM. Reason: Added more info

+ Reply to Thread