+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 9' - 4 wt. - 4 pc. Ideas, Suggestions & Pitches.

This is the DC blank I was talking about. The butt is the same diameter he wants, the tip though is a 4.5 instead of a 4. Which is so minute, no one could really tell.
    http://www.dancraftent.com/detail/index.cfm?nPID=199
    Last edited by RS1; 02-07-2009 at 03:35 AM.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by RS1 View Post
    This is the DC blank I was talking about. The butt is the same diameter he wants, the tip though is a 4.5 instead of a 4. Which is so minute, no one could really tell.
    http://www.dancraftent.com/detail/index.cfm?nPID=199
    The Sig V: Always a good one to consider!
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

3. Default

Last edited by pomperaugian; 02-21-2009 at 12:29 PM.

Default Here is what is most popular with our customers

If you want it fast, the Batson RX8 (not RX8+) is one of the fastest around and at a price that won't hurt. The 8+ us also considered a "launcher" out west because of it's power and is also one of the faster blanks we sell. Some fast ones lose sensitivity in the tip, but the RX8+ is superb -- it can be pricey but there are specials from time to time.

I like Dan Craft blanks -- I don't sell them but I like his products.

TFO is a great all around blank, but the Batson RX8 is faster in my opinion.

Our favorite blank, for most applications, and one of the most popular with custom rod builders is definitely the RX7. I would never call it fast - definitely a true med-fast action. We like this blank for about 90% of fishing conditions. Yes, it is slower than some of the super fast blanks on the market, but it is "fishable." Know that I do not think that "fast" is better for all around fishing or builds a better rod. I do think that fast is particularly good when you are throwing a lot of line, over 50-60 feet or in windy conditions. The tip size may not meet your specifications, but these can be different in the same class - I wouldn't pan a blank because of 1/64.

Lastly, SCIV is sweet, but a lot more money. VT2 is a very fishable blank and I like it a lot, but most people wouldn't put it in the fast category. It's comparable to the RX7 -- overall excellent design and comfortable to use.
    Last edited by hackleman57; 02-07-2009 at 12:49 PM.

Default One more thing

None of the one's mentioned meet all of your requirements. Some have a slightly bigger tip, or butt or whatever. Please don't limit yourself by some measurements without considering the fishability. We hear from people each week who are disappointed with some rod somebody highly recommended or sold to them at a high price with a fancy name. When I first started building rods, now over 24 years ago, I used to measure and weight everything!! Now, we get samples and examples from all over the world and I build and fish them all. All have different personalities and usually only take a few minutes to learn to cast.

In other words, don't limit your choices. Try different things and don't be fooled that high price builds better stuff!

Good replys Hackleman. Especially limiting one's self on specs. Rod weight, reel weight, and swing weight. All different things.

Pomperaugian- seems like you're one of a very small percentage that doesn't like Dan Craft's rods. But you can't compare a 9' 5w 6pc. FTL to a 9' 4w 4pc. Sig V. Two different rods, with different tapers. It's not a fair comparison.
    I still say check out the SigV

+ Reply to Thread