+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Smokies Fish-in?

Default Smokies Fish-in?

Hello all. The idea of a Fish-in in the Smokies in the spring (an idea started by Owl) still sounds like such a good idea that I think it's time to resurrect the subject.

I have found a great looking place to hold the get-together, and want to know who might be interested in getting this thing off the ground. Take a look at [url=http://www.hiddencreekcabins.com/index.html:70fdc]http://www.hiddencreekcabins.com/index.html[/url:70fdc] and click on the Redwood Lodge for an idea of the location.

This place sleeps eight in five bedrooms, five on the sleeper sofas, has full hookups for 10 RV's, and camping space for 10 - 12 tents. The living area would be a great place for fly-tying in the evening, and there is a nice fire-ring as well.

I'm thinking of Thursday thru Sunday, May 12 - 15. The fishing is just great then, with hatches of most bugs well underway. There are streams and rivers within 30 miles of the place that range from delayed-harvest (to stroke your ego) to wild mountain brookie streams that require a five-mile UPHILL hike to reach!

Lets see what interest there is - continue this post or drop me an email with questions or comments.

Dave Cassens

Ah, Bryson City, one of my favorites. Deep Creek and Noland Creek are right there. Then within 30 minutes in either direction is the Tuckaseegee (my personal favorite) and the Nantahala (another crowd pleaser).

In May you have every yellow and brown bug imaginable - yellow sallies, cahills, caddis, stoneflies, etc.

I don't think I'm enough of a regular to participate, but I don't mind selling the idea.

If you are a reader of FAOL you qualify to attend ANY FAOL FISH-IN. This is not a private club - it's open to anyone who reads FAOL...consider this your own personal invitation if you feel you must have one.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

I'm game for at least one day!! Will love to hang out with fellow fly fishermen!

The fellow I fish with and myself would most likely make the trip from WV to participate. The dates are even great for me, it happens to go along with my plan to have a yearly birthday fishing trip. No better place to turn a day older than the Smokies.
    Buna

Speechless & Buna - be good to meet you. There are a lot of streams to fish, and if some are interested, we can get boat transportation across Lake Fontana to spend the day fishing Hazel Creek - great fishing, and remote!

I'll be posting more about the accomodation possibilities as the date gets closer. If anyone has any ideas about streams they would like to try out, we are open to all suggestions, and I'm sure there will be someone among the group who has fished the stream to help those not familiar with it.

TL

Dave

That's a wonderful area to fish. Last time I was there, I was a novice fisherman and caught only a couple small brookies, but it certainly is beautiful. From Bryson, you can fish just about any water in the park. One of my favorites was Cataloochee creek, where you can expect to have the whole river to yourself all day long.

I remember a little fishing / hunting store in Bryson, where the owner showed me and my Dad his photo album of fish he caught. Interspersed with the fishing photos wre pictures of the various bear cubs he had raised. I'd like to go back to that little shop.

I live out west now, but would love to make the trip back east. I think you can count me in, and I bet Dad will want to come too.

JBW

Jordan - happy to have you and your dad. I agree - the Cataloochee area is a great place, especially in the summer - one of the few places in the park where terrestrials count high as fish food, 'cause of all the open fields near the streams. Drop me a line if I can be of assistance in your getting to the fish-in.

Dave

+ Reply to Thread