+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New line, will it make a big difference

Hybrid View

Default New line, will it make a big difference

I have a 7wt. Redington Wayfarer that I just can't seem to get a good cast with. The line I have is a cortland 444 Lazer. I'm thinking about putting a different line on the reel and seeing how it handles afterwards. Does the line make that much of a difference in how a rod performs that a new line will make the rod work for me much better? Any suggestions on a line?

Jeff
    P.S. While not the greatest caster in the world or even Pennsylvania, I feel that I am a competant caster and have no issues with the other rods I own. I have rods that run form med/slow to fast action, so I don't think its the caster. I could be wrong.
    Dead fish don't make reel music.

Have you tried using a line weight heavier? I have an 8wt rod I built for steelhead and silver salmon and went on my Alaska trip with a 9wt WF floating line and found that I was still under lined and ended up with a 10wt line in order to properly load the rod.

Go down to your local fly shop or sporting goods store and ask if they have some different weight lines on reels that you can try casting with your rod. If they're anything like my local shop (Jimmy's All Season Anglers, Id Falls, ID) then they would be more than happy to help solve your problem. Don't just take the line weight off of the box as the one that will work.

Anyway, hope this helps.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

FF,

I don't own any, but a good friend of mine really likes the Redington Wayfarer rods.

He told me he feels that they were 'underrated' and that he finds that using a heavier line realy brings out their best.

Just a thought.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Buddy, I was just sitting here thinking the same thing. I really don't think its a "bad" rod. I'm thinking about a GPX or maybe RIO Grand. I might stick with the GPX, as I really like the way my 6wt. handles. The more I think, the more I come to "get a new line stupid."

Thanks

Have you weighed the first 30' of the line? Maybe it's not a 7wt. If it's a WF is it installed properly?

Erik

I don't have anything to weigh the line on, and I don't see the point of spending the money for something right now. It says 7wt. on the line. You know how Cortland prints the line size and type on the line. Thanks for the suggestion.

Jeff,

I used to think that fly line tapers didn't make much difference. I have since had some discussions with Bruce Richards of SA. Turns out some of the new tapers are significantly different. There is also a discussion going on on Itinerant anglers on the subject. See

http://www.itinerantangler.com/cgi-b...num=1232637854

Zach is going to write an article on the subject which should prove to be very interesting.

Fly line weight may make a big difference on your rod too. Some lines are now 1/2 weight heavier for faster rods to "soften" them up a bit. I would suggest you try going lighter or heavier if you have some lines available to you. This is the article I wrote some years ago which may not be altogether accurate anymore.
    http://www.hatofmichigan.org/uploads..._Casting_2.pdf

Hope this helps a little.

Godspeed and good fishing,

Bob

Assuming that the line is a 7-weight I don't think changing lines would make a difference, and generally I don't like the idea of overlining rods. A 7-weight rod was designed for a 7-weight rod.

I don't mean to sound harsh: may I suggest working on your casting? I suspect you are struggling with a defect and, believe me, that's nothing to be ashamed of.

Randy

Ok I am not very smart in this area but here are a few suggestions. One is the line clean? In trying out different rods I build with different speeds I have found when accostumed to a certain rod it is hard to cast any other rod. Are you listening to the rod when you cast it? By that I mean is it saying I am loaded now, not when you think it is. I don't think a new line will make that much difference. I do apologize here cause I am not being offensive just giving suggestions. I jump from a TFO to bamboo and everything in between and that is as different as night and day. I have found that I have to listen to the rod and it will tell me what I need to do. Last but not least some rods just do not fit a persons casting style and never will. This may be the issue here. Just my 2 cents

Thanks Bob, I'll give those links a look.

Randy and Harley, I don't think its me. I'm not the worlds greatest, but I do alright in my opinion. I don't have the same issues with my other rods of various actions. Yes, the line is clean.

+ Reply to Thread