+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Kayak Fun

Default Kayak Fun

Click on this Link and scroll down to the story & photo: "A Compelling Case for Power Boats" http://dailycast.fishboatmag.com/blog/6_random/page/2/
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

After an experience like that I would give up kayaking.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DShock View Post
    Click on this Link and scroll down to the story & photo: "A Compelling Case for Power Boats" http://dailycast.fishboatmag.com/blog/6_random/page/2/
    Doug
    That one has been around for a decade.
    Steve

Actually it was a researcher that sought out the sharks as part of their research. Here is his description of how the photograph came about.

"To capture this image I tied myself to the tower of the research boat Lamnidae and leaned into the void, precariously hanging over the ocean while waiting patiently for a white shark to come along. I wanted to shot a photograph that would tell the story of our research efforts to track white sharks using kayaks. When the first shark of the day came across our sea kayak it dove to the seabed and inspected it from below. I quickly trained my camera on the dark shadow which slowly transformed from diffuse shape into the sleek outline of a large great white. When the shark's dorsal fin broke the surface I thought I had the shot, but hesitated a fraction of a second and was rewarded with marine biologist Trey Snow in the kayak turning around to look behind him. I pressed the shutter and the rest was history. Throughout the day I shot many more images, most showing the kayak following the shark, but all lacked the power of that first image of the great white tracking the kayak."

They were actually chasing the sharks in kayaks as part of their research on shark behavior.
    Last edited by dunfly; 02-02-2009 at 05:13 PM.

Wow I've seen that picture many times but never believed that it was real
    snopes.com: The Follower

Another.... also real

Last edited by dudley; 02-02-2009 at 06:01 PM.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

I always thought that was a Texas Minnow, and he was trolling for really BIG catfish.

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

I shot this picture last year while kayaking through the Okefenokee swamp. I had one charge the yak, but she turned aside at the last second.

I'm sure the guy in the shark picture would agree with me.....THIS IS LIVING LARGE! I think you can only have experiences like these in a yak, or maybe a canoe.

Really gives you a perspective of how large these sharks really are! Amazing!

+ Reply to Thread