+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sliding band reel seats

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Question Sliding band reel seats

Just wanted to get some opinions on sliding band reel seats. How many of you like this type and if your presently using one ,have you had any problems with the reel turning or coming loose? If you havent is your reel seat mortised for the reel foot or not?.....Thanks in advance........Ed

Smile Sliding Band Reel Seats

Ed,
    As long as the reel seat is adequately mortised or flattened, the reel should stay secure IF the bands will fit over the reel feet. I've built a couple rods with Sliding Band Reel Seats for myself and like 'em. But I built one for a friend where the reel seat selected had small enough bands that they wouldn't fit over his reel's feet.
    Whether you think you can, or think you cannot, you're probably right.
    --Author unknown

I have used them for over thirty years.Never had a problem.

I have one on my 4wt and I've never had a problem with it.

Bill

Darm! There must be a learning curve to use one properly! I've never attempted to use it that I don't wind up with a reel in the water. Hummmm ...
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

i have both the sliding ring and the locking ring type reel seats... they both hold a reel equally secure as long as the reel feet are the proper size for the seat... myself i prefer the sliding ring over the locking rings... sliding ring makes it easier & quicker for changing reels... sometimes the locking ring will get sort of stuck if its threads are not kept clean...
    A.S.F 5th GP ...TO FIGHT SO OTHERS MAY REMAIN FREE...

I have three rods with sliding ring reel seats. They have worked well for me.

The only time I have had a problem is when I stick them in the rod holder on my drift boat. Sometimes I snag the ring when removing a rod and loosen the reel.

They've been around for a lot of years! I much prefer them to the screw up or screw down seats. I've built a few rods and primarily use the cap and ring seats the most. I do like the mortised ones the best. Never had a problem.

Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

I have and have had no problems..I really do like them. I built a two 2wt's and used them and replaced a seat on a 4wt I built with one. They hold well and I like the way that they look. pacbay s1 reel seats are discontinued but you can still find them for cheap if you look around a bit. They are dual sliding band seats and are really well made.Also Jannsnetcraft sells a corkhandle kit with rings that is very affordable. I used one on a 2wt and it worked out really well for me. I ended up sanding a "flat spot" in the cork seat for the reel to rest on with it.
    Janus

I used them on a little 6-1/2 ft two weight rod with a cork reel seat. It holds the reel fine but I did find that I had to sand a slight flat on the bottom of the cork, similar to mortising it I guess you could say.

Dave

+ Reply to Thread