Quote Originally Posted by flyfshn76 View Post
Mrfishingtoughguy,
I have heard alot about the james river and the cats that are in there. A post was made last year on my local message board about a group of guys that are going after every species in the james with a flyrod. You wouldn't happen to be in that group would ya, anyways nice pics and I am sure that the fight is pretty awesome on the fly. I have caught them with ultralight fishing gear before and I know how fun they were then.
Not a part of any official group - but last year I did get hickory and american shad, flathead and channel cats (hooked a few blues but couldn't seal the deal), smallmouth, largemouth and rock bass, some bream, schoolie stripers and one quillback carp in there. I got a gar to chase and bite a clouser while doing a smallie float - but no dice. Didn't even hook it. I am pretty sure I caught a spotted bass but can't be sure...dunno if they're in there, and it might have been a washed-out juvy largemouth.

When the trout fishin shuts down in SNP during late summer (usually the case with low/warm water) it's all I can do to keep a level head by fishin for whatever bites in the river...fun to fish a 4wt and small poppers for the smallies and bream in the city stretches.