Since no one from Manitoba has chimed in yet, I'll give it a go. Up here on the Red River, we have a regular crew of folks who fly fish for channel cats. These fish can run over 30# and fish over 20# are common. Most fish caught are over 10#. What's really neat is that, with the right conditions and some knowledge of the water, folks can catch half a dozen in a good morning.

The best area is below a dam where cats congregate in riffles that run 3' to 6" deep. Shiner immitations (tied clauser style) work well, as do crayfish patterns. The water is muddy so I like visible flies. One of my most successful flies, which I fish as a dropper, is a #6 San Juan worm, tied in florescent yellow (go figure). Gummy minnows have also worked for me.

I use dead drifts across and down stream, mending the line to create drag-free drifts. The main reason to avoid drag is to keep the fly swimming as close to the bottom. Sink tips are used and I like to have various densities, depending on current and depth. Fly fishing for Red River cats is one of the more exciting fly fishing opportunities that we have up here, and we have many.

To the gent that's coming up from North Dakota this June, that's a peak time. I think you'll have a ball. Bear in mind that the Red River is not the most pristine - far from it - but the fishing experience is absolutely unique...TIM