+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Woo Hoo, best practice session so far

Hybrid View

Talking Woo Hoo, best practice session so far

I just came back from my best practice session so far. The wind is blowing pretty hard, and I gained a good 10 to 15 feet on my cast with a tail wind. I couldn't cast into it at all though. Other than that though, I didn't have any wind knots or tangles, and I pretty much hit where I was aiming. I may go back later this evening but right now though I am going to thaw out.

Jason

Oh, and I know wind doesn't have anything to do with wind knots, just poor casting. Believe me, I know.
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

Did you fish or just practice casting. I wish the weather was warm enough for me to do some practicing here. I actually thought about taking my equipment to the "Y" and seeing if they would mind if I practiced in one of the unused gymnasiums.

All athletes practice. Even if you are a pro, they practice. More fly fisherman should practice casting. Glad that you are making some advances.

I just practiced casting Clay. I am brand new at this and I need lots of practice. I was using my Uncle's new pond, it just filled up with water. He has another one that I have been using, it is stocked and everything. But it is next to the main road. The new pond is behind my house, in easy walking distance, and no one is around either. That way, no one can see me make a fool of myself.
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

Good job then. A couple of comments and that is try to get someone more experienced or even better a real coach to help you along. A few dollars spent now will save much frustration on the water.

You can find some nice instructors that are qualified here: http://www.fedflyfishers.org/Default.aspx?tabid=4465

Barring a good instructor there are some good DVDs available. Many times these DVDs can even be found in you local library for free rental. Another good source is YouTube. Just do a search under fly casting lessons. I tend to better watching something than just reading about it. If you have questions, you have found a good board. It's always nice seeing someone with lots of enthusiasm.

Jason;
    Have you given any thought to Joining us down here in Tullahoma this weekend? We're all a bunch of wannabe's so come on down! Fishing is good as well as the food!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hise View Post
    Jason;
    Have you given any thought to Joining us down here in Tullahoma this weekend? We're all a bunch of wannabe's so come on down! Fishing is good as well as the food!
    What day is everyone showing up? For some reason I thought everyone was comeing on Wednesday?

+ Reply to Thread