+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question: Sage GFL 586 DS

Hybrid View

Default Question: Sage GFL 586 DS

Hey friends-

I just acquired a new rod. It is my first 2-piece and my first Sage. I searched the forum and wasn't able to come up with much due to the "four letter" search requirement.

It is, again, a Sage GFL 586 DS, 5-wt., 8'6", Graphite II. All I got was the rod, tube and sock - no warranty card or info. If I understand it correctly, it is an "entry" level rod with relatively moderate action. The series is discontinued as far as I am aware. It is in *fantastic* condition!!!

So, tell me your thoughts about this rod! What do you like? Dislike? What do you know? I would like AS MUCH information about it as possible. Thanks in advance!!!

Scott

You got yourself a pretty good rod. The DS series were excellent rods with a nice medium fast action. I have a two piece 4wt and 7wt that I acquired in 1994. I still fish the 4wt and fished the 7wt until I broke it last year. The are enjoyable to fish. I thought all the DS series rods that I cast and/or fished were pleasant to use. Not my favorites for casting long in a stiff breeze, but for me, fine for most fishing. The cosmetics are not spectacular, but fishing isn't a fashion show (for most of us) and I am kind of partial to the old dull colors. Good cork material for grips is getting harder to come by and the grips on my DS examples are better quality than my more recent vintage Sage VT2, FLi, Launch, and Bass rods.

What do I like about the DS rods? Just about everthing, including the aluminum reel seat. I even use my 4wt in saltwater. What do I not like? Nothing really.

I have a newer version of the DS series, the DS2 590-4. I bought it back in early 2000. Great rod! Its got a nice smooth action, but the load feel is not up to the higher end rods in the Sage line. As with any rod, getting in-sync with it is just a matter of spending time with it.

This rod works very well with dries and large streamers. Heavy winds and gusts can be a challenge.

The components are of good quality. The cork is a notch or two below the premium grade you find on high-end rods.

The rod tube is made of plastic with what I think is a cordura outer jacket and a built-in fabric seperator to protects each rod section.

To this day I still fish with it. I finished my 2008 fishing season with a one week family outing in the Sierras and the DS was the only rod I used the whole time. I fished a lake and a stream coming down along the Sonora Pass.

Warning, like you it was my first Sage. I now own 7. I am hooked!
    Last edited by TyroneFly; 01-30-2009 at 07:38 PM.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

The Sage DS series was discontinued. This series is a medium Fast (More Medium) action rod. I own three an love them. I own a lot of rods from high end to low end and just love this DS series. I don't know if I would call it an entry rod like Sage does. The only others Rods from Sage that has me in love are the SP's and the LL series. You have a great rod so go and enjoy it. I think You will love this fly from the first cast.

Default Sage DS

I've had a pair of DS2 rods ( a 490-2 and a 690-2 ) for quite some time. I love both rods. Action is medium fast which is just right for my casting stroke. They are a little tricky in the wind, but I compensate with WF line. I tend to be a minimanilist so the plain jane features are right up my alley.

Default DS

My Wife bought a Ds 7wt 2pc for my birthday 5 years ago, I love it, casts great, medium action I Love it!
    Flyfisher121

Thanks a ton for all the help! I appreciate the insight!

You've already gotten some good feed back. I also own a DS2 9' 2 pc 6/7 wt. Bought it back in 1990. I'm not sure why the 2 line wt rating. I have always used a wf 6 and it seemed to do just fine. This was my first graphite rod and I bought it from a shop in Denver CO. It has been a good rod and I still fish with it from time to time. I wish I had bought a 4 pc before Sage discontinued that series.

Dave
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

+ Reply to Thread