+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Klinkhamer color...

Hybrid View

Default Klinkhamer color...

I'v read alot on here and heard from alot that if folks only had one fly to use anywhere it would be the Klinkhamer so I'v tied up about a dozen in a color combo that I like the looks of, (red foxx body, black floss ribbing, peacock hearl thorax, brown hackle and whitetail deer for the post black thread, but I would like to tye some other color combo's, so my Q is if ya had only one color combo to use anywhere, what would it be?

Blog Entries

It would be a blend with every color I could find in it... Then I tie tones of the same basic color, just light, medium and dark versions...

I have found that the most versatile colour is a medium olive abdomen ribbed with gold wire from a diminutive size18 on a Partridge Extreme to a massive size 12 on a FM living nymph hook that I call the 'Klunkhammer' due to it's propensity to hit the water like a half brick but this does bring them up!

This is my favorite Klinkhamer style fly -

I tie this in size 16 through 20. My preferred color is an abdomen of Hareline Stalcups Mirco Fine Dry Fly Dub BWO Gray Olive (SMF27). The post is dark dun zelon. The hackle is a dark bronze dun color. It has a traditional peacock hurl head.

Love this fly and it's been a great fish producer.
    Joe Bertolini

As stated above, try to mix colours, it's hard to say what colour works best.
    But also try to use several colours for the wingpost.
    In Norway I have used klinkies in many conditions, and I find that fiery orange wingposts are very visible for the angler, and the fish do not seem to maind that this is not a natural colour. Same for bright red....
    Even a black wingpost is very visible in some conditions.
    Slainthe Mhar,
    Hans

PURPLE! Seriously....the color works.

I did tie up some in burnt Orange Pheasant Tail. For some reason that is another color that produces well, and I am using the new Gamakatsu C-15 #18 vertical eye. Makes threading them a breeze!

Thumbs up Klinkhamer at Work

Quote Originally Posted by alra195 View Post
    This is my favorite Klinkhamer style fly -

I tie this in size 16 through 20. My preferred color is an abdomen of Hareline Stalcups Mirco Fine Dry Fly Dub BWO Gray Olive (SMF27). The post is dark dun zelon. The hackle is a dark bronze dun color. It has a traditional peacock hurl head.

Love this fly and it's been a great fish producer.
    You said it, Joe !! Click on the photo and enjoy.

( For a narrative regarding my outing with Joe's olive and dun Klinkhamer, see today's post on the Fishing Reports Forum - '09 Elkhorn Bamboo Challenge. )

John
    The fish are always right.

+ Reply to Thread