+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3 wt for Spring Creeks

Default 3 wt for Spring Creeks

I am thinking of getting a 3 wt or 4 wt for fishing the local spring creeks here in PA. (My wife asked what I wanted for Christmas..woo hoo). I was thinking a 7' - 8' would be best. Any suggestion on what I should look for.

Bill from PA

Bill;
    I have used a Cabela's 7' 3 wt. and loved it. It's going to a new home and I'll be using a Forcast 7.5' 4 wt. that I'm building. I also have a Forecast 6.6' 2 wgt that has not be tried.

I went through that same decision process this year. And I did buy a Scott 3-weight. Lots of guys love their 3-weights, but I discovered I prefer a 5-weight most of the time on Spring Creek and the Lehigh Valley limestoners. I was slightly frustrated by the fact that a 3-weight line is so easily wind-blown. I also bought a 6'6" rod. Once I got out on the stream, I found I didn't like a rod that short.

Whats your budget ( if any ? ).

I have been test casting 7-to-8 foot 3 wts over the last few weeks.
    Since I live in north Jersey, and fish
    in eastern / central PA too, I find that
    short casts on small wooded streams need a ( relatively short ) rod that loads in close.

Here are my 3 weight favorites ( so far )
    in order of preference ( cost AND perform ):
    Liked these
    TFO Professional 7'6" 4-piece $139.00
    Sage SLT 7'6" 4-piece $580.00
    Winston WT 8'0" 3-piece $595.00
    Winston IBIS 7'6" 4-piece $300.00

Did NOT like:
    Winston LT 6'9" 5-piece $655.00
    Loomis SD Metolius Present 7'0" 3-piece $350

I also plan to look at:
    Sage TXL
    Scott G2

and there are always Orvis Superfines or
    St. Croix. The Superfines are a little long
    in 3-weights ( for what I want ).

I liked the TFO overall ( with SA GPX-WF3 )
    The SLT was also REALLY nice ( but big $$$ )
    The WT was also nice ( felt heavy to me ).
    The IBIS was fast & accurate / not delicate.

Hope this helps a little. E-mail me if you want further discussion on this.

------------------
    Knowledge is power ? Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
    ? Sir Francis Bacon (1561-1626)
    The_Sib

Bill:

Which PA spring creeks are you talking about?

My quiver based on my preferences includes:

8'6" that I prefer on the Letort, Falling Springs and Big Springs because of the high meadow grasses and reaching over weeds, etc. A high backcast and longer rod will keep your frustration level to a minimum in places like this.

8'0" for places like the Monocacy, Saucon and Bushkill Creeks and other medium sized limestoners that look like freestoners. I also occasionally use a 7'6" or 7'9" rod in these places as well.

When I FORCE myself to fish the Heritage Stretch of the Little Lehigh I prefer a rod of 8'0" - 9'0" because of the no wading rules in effect.

I rarely use my 7'0" rods on the above mentioned streams but instead use them on the really small limestoners or freestone creeks. Despite the success that many guys have with shorter rod on some of these creeks I personally just prefer and often times need the longer reach of a longer rod.

Streamers are an important piece of the big fish arsenal on limestoners so consider that when choosing a line weight if you choose to chuck streamers.

Have fun!

You all have mentioned fine rods, but don't forget about the Orvis Superfine series. I just bought a Trout Bum myself. It's not Orvis' best selling Superfine for nothing. Loads very easily, is only 7' long and is a 4 piece. While waiting for my new line to come in for it I lawn cast it with my WF 5 wt line into a stiff Oklahoma wind and it was laying out line from 10' to 50' with no problem and the presentations were as delicate as can be. I think the value of these rods, especially when compared to higher priced rods, is often overlooked. They are definitely fine rods and the fit and finish is as good as any.

I'm from PA and fish a 3 weight quite often during the later part of the year on small streams around here. Mine is an Orvis 8'4" TLS (one of the older, discontinued models) and I love it. In fact it's the rod I do the majority of my small stream fishing with. I will tell you this though, I almost always at least bring my 5 weight along with me because if there's even a moderate wind it can make casting difficult. For #18 and smaller flies and slightly smaller weighted nymphs though it's perfect. It's a great rod for the late blue winged olive hatches and it's exceptional during the winter months for midges.

Hope this helped.

-Darryl

------------------
    "If we carry purism to it's logical conclusion, to do it right you'd have to live naked in a cave, hit your trout on the head with rocks, and eat them raw. But, so as not to violate another essential element of the fly-fishing tradition, the rocks would have to be quarried in England and cost $300 each."

~John Gierach

[This message has been edited by Darryl (edited 08 November 2005).]
    My one wish is that when I die my wife doesn't sell my fishing stuff for what I told her I paid for it...

This is great info folks I appreciate all your feedback. I probably will need to stay under $300.00 or so. I was thinking about the TFO.
    Also the Sage FLi and Redington RS3
    Anyone have feedback on those rods?
    Also although I doubt I can swing it I saw on the Orvis web site they had The Orvis T3 7'6" rod $200.00 Off. Seems like a big savings on this rod???

Bill from PA

9. Default

Look at the Scott G if you wanna stay in the $300 range...they should be on sale now becuase the the G2. Also SAGE discontinued a few of the light line SLTs last year I think (the 3pc ones).

------------------
    "GET THE DRIFT?"

I have the 3 weight TFO in a 4 peice 8'6" and I absolutely swear by this rod. It feels great in the shorter lengths also. I'm sure it will fit the bill. As a matter of fact, I promise you won't be dissapointed in the TFO. Great Rod and Great Price!

+ Reply to Thread