+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shack Nasties, Got Them Yet?

nighthawk Guest

Default Shack Nasties, Got Them Yet?

Well, do ya? I will admit I have been a bit more grumpy than my normal grumpiness. Ah, well, the evening walks help. That is when it is not dumping down ice and I can go for a walk. Not going to walk on that ice.

The thing I don't like about this time of the year is the loss of daylight. You know, shorter days and then we turn the clocks back too. That means I go to work in the dark and come home in the dark. I am starting to feel like a mushroom. If I were a mushroom I'd be a happy one, what with all the B.S. that gets flung around at work.

I did get out for a walk today. I got halfway through it then down came the freezing rain. Bummer. I think next week I will schedule a trip to one of our local streams that is open year round so I can fling some flies. Should be one or two that isn't iced up. Or, when the new camera gets here, perhaps I will take a trip to Gettysburg. Hum, could take the fly rod there too.

Well, thanks for letting me rant a bit. I feel better now. So if you have the shack nasties, or even if you don't, go ahead and post. You will feel better at least for a nanosecond.

I've got 'em.

My wife "encouraged" me to go ice-fishing this past weekend. Landing some fish certainly helped my disposition.

Its somewhat encouraging to know that days have been getting longer for about a month now. I can actually see the sun on the horizon now as I get out of work in the evening.

Ice-out is still about 7 weeks away, however.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Blog Entries

Uh-huh, got em bad, looking for a year round pond to fish.

eric
    Last edited by Eric-WD; 01-28-2009 at 08:53 PM. Reason: theres no N in fish
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Thumbs up

Hi Eric - Just a suggestion. I took my bike out to Gettysburg this past September and rode the entire battlefield tour. I've been to Gettysburg many times, but this is truely the BEST way to see Gettysburg! We saw lots of folks doing the same thing, and the ones I spoke to agreed on this. Check this out...

http://www.gettysbike.com/

The ride up to the summit of Big Round Top is a lungbuster and a half though.

nighthawk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Heritage Angler View Post
    Hi Eric - Just a suggestion. I took my bike out to Gettysburg this past September and rode the entire battlefield tour. I've been to Gettysburg many times, but this is truely the BEST way to see Gettysburg! We saw lots of folks doing the same thing, and the ones I spoke to agreed on this. Check this out...

http://www.gettysbike.com/

The ride up to the summit of Big Round Top is a lungbuster and a half though.
    Thanks my man! I bookmarked that one. I will probably take my own gear. I had a friend that used to live in the battle field area but she moved away after she got divorced. She was a truck driver that used to stop at my Truck Stop but her and the hubby also owned a horse farm in Gettysburg. The horse that Sam Elliot rode in the movie Gettysburg was her horse. She said that aside from his good looks Sam is also a very nice fellow and an outstanding horseman.

Hey let me know if you want to schedule a trip to the battle field this summer. I will schedule a day off or just develop a sudden, acute case of anal glaucoma (I can't see my A$% going to work) and take a sick day.

You got a deal! Civil War stuff fascinates me. I've loved reading about it since I was a kid.

The Battlefield is actually very "bike friendly". Just gotta bring a good lock, and lots of water. There's a whole lot of horse trails that aren't open to mountain bikes - I'd love to be able to ride on those!

I got one word for ya........... YES
    Remember we all live down stream

nighthawk Guest

I did drag the Pentax out for some photos today. Also used the nasty weather as an opportunity to test the OP/TECH USA rain sleeve that I bought for it. I wouldn't want to try it in a full force gale but I was impressed with this gadget. Here is a link for them:

http://optechusa.com/

Handy thing to have. Doesn't take up much room. Even if your DSLR or film SLR is weather resistant it adds a little more security. Should help guard against dust too. I got mine off of ebay.

Perhaps these photos will help you all with the shack nasties:

I got em for sure. But I will survive I have to, living on this Northerly island there is no getting away from the darkness of winter. I go to work and come home from work when it is dark outside, for about three months each year. It is my hobbies that keep my spirits up and the thought of great fly fishing in the spring and summer and even in the autumn.
    Jon

Pretty much over them now, opening day is Sunday Feb 1 which as many know is Superbowl sunday........................the water should be all mine..................just keep it above -10C and I'm in business.
    Barnes

+ Reply to Thread