On Monday I fished a river 10 minutes from home hoping to get in a couple hours before it started to snow again. As I was walking from my truck I encountered a very nice gentleman who informed me that he was from Tennessee and it was getting to cold for him to fish any more that day. I asked him how he did and he was glad to inform me that he caught three fish over 20 inches and lost a rainbow of at least 25". I politely said "WOW" and went along my way. Now I have fished this water for over 35 years and can count on one hand the number of fish over 20" I have seen, let alone caught.....And my point?.... Why is it we have such a need to exaggerate the size of the fish we catch?

A few years back as I was "peeping" on one of these fishing boards there was a pissing contest going on about the size of fish some folks were catching, and getting pictures of. A very minimal scrutiney of the photos showed some claims were "inflated" by as much as 6 inches. A 16" fish is a VERY nice catch and one that brings great satisfaction. This would also be a "trophy" on some waters yet it is about this size were exageration seems to "kick in" by giant leaps.

It appears that we sometimes give the false impression to new practioners of this great sport that large fish are the norm and anything less is a failure. Nothing could be farther from the truth. Trout over 20" inches are fish to be enjoyed, treasured and by all means remembered. Here in Montana there are many large fish in the water, and some are caught, but they do not "jump" on your fly as many first time fisherman to the state seem to perceive.

Size does not count in bringing enjoyment to this sport BUT size CAN make for a memorable experience. Enjoy both ends of the tape measure.

Cheers....Bandy

Manhattan, Montana