+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wading staff

Question Wading staff

I am sure I have read on the board somewhere about wading staffs? I wasn't going to try and get one, but I have had alot of knee problems lately and I'm probably facing another surgery. Anyway, I slipped a little today at work and wound up sitting on the floor. It took a while before I was able to get up and walk, but at least the floor at work wasn't in 4 ft of water. It got me to thinking about all of the slick rocks in the creeks around here, and made me a little more cautious about getting in the water. Perhaps today's little tumble was a blessing in disguise, anyway if anyone knows of a good wading staff for a big clumsy man, I'd appreciate the help.

Thanks,
    Jason
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

HnT
    You will get some responses from this request. Be ready to sort. I have used and recommend the Folstaf - it's pricey (~$100) but very sturdy. (I'm 6'2" and 265 and rely on it even in ankle deep water on freestones, etc...) I've seen some of the lighter ones but I'm not a ballerina so do not wish to rely on something flimsy. I also use an oak staff which one of my friends carved for me but not as portable. YMMV.
    mcsteff

Figure the value of your life. Get one equal or close to it. There is only brand to get. You are too important to go 'second class.'

As mentioned...you will get responses...it seems to me most have recommended the Falstaff but the Simms has been mentioned as comparable.

Personally I for years have used a high quality ski pole.

Default cheap good wading stick

i a big guy too / i started making these for my wife / she like it so well made me one / and many people have copied it / u start with a solid firber glass cattle sorting rod drill a hole in the handle end with a i bolt attach your cord and snap and bingo your done /i will garnette they will suport your size and have less then 20 bucks in it

Quote Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
    i a big guy too / i started making these for my wife / she like it so well made me one / and many people have copied it / u start with a solid firber glass cattle sorting rod drill a hole in the handle end with a i bolt attach your cord and snap and bingo your done /i will garnette they will suport your size and have less then 20 bucks in it
    Hey sourdough, that is a great idea, I worked at a local stockyard when I was in school and have used exactly the kind of sorting pole you are talking about. I wasn't wading, but they have kept plenty of ton+ bulls off of me.

Thanks,
    Jason
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

HnT
    When I bushwack I never take my oak staff; it gets hung up too much in the brush. Even on some of my access places on the South Branch of the Au Sable you need to clear some growth before you get to the water. That is why I love my holstered Folstaf. Never been able to figure how to shorten the staff when you want it short and lengthen it when you want it lengthened...but then I don't have to thanks to the folks at Folstaff. Again YMMV.
    mcsteff

I never fish without one. I like the Fishpond wading staffs they're very light and they float (less tiring during a day of fishing). I don't like the folding ones because I'm afraid that I won't always use it.

Also, make sure the staff is long enough for you. It should be as high as your armpit.

Randy

The shock cord staffs are nice except when you're arm pit deep and the tip gets wedged and the whole staff comes apart when you give it a yank to pull it out. The added benefit of a solid staff is it works well on snakes.

http://www.dorber.com/wading.html

I have one, my friend has one. Stouter than an Folstaff, folds shorter than a Browning (staff). I like to keep it in the holster when I am NOT in trouble so it is not in the way.

+ Reply to Thread