+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Otter Fur

Default Otter Fur

About 15 years ago I found, dead in the road close to where I live a adult male Otter. The animal had just been hit while crossing the road by a Logging Truck. So I stopped and picked it up, and later skinned it out.
    Does anyone have any good fly pattern ideas. The fur has an oily feel to it, I have kept it rolled up in cedar chips, and have checked it for bugs it is still in good shape.
    It is a little heaver/thicker than Muskrat fur and about the same color. I guess the best tying would be for nymphs.
    Dave

I've not tied with otter but if I had one I'd certainly give that dense under fur a try as a dubbing material in something. Given the natural oils, I wouldn't limit it to just nymph bodies. I'd suspect, like mink, the longer guard hairs would have some usage a dry fly tailing materials.

With some of those guard hairs mixed in I'm sure you could get some pretty interesting and buggy looking nymph bodies. Might be some interesting blends from the mask (face) if you saved that section.

Give it a shot and post your results on in the Fly Tying section.
    Joe Bertolini

You need to tie up some of those Otter Nymphs, a Ted Trueblood pattern. It will represent a scud.

When your done tyin' em up be sure to give some to the otter guys.
    "As far down the river as he could see, the trout were rising, making circles on the surface of the water, as though it were starting to rain."- E.H., The Big Two Hearted River

be sure to give some to the otter guys.... to funny
    Remember we all live down stream

Td,
    the underfur makes great dubbing and the guard hairs make great tails and wings
    G

+ Reply to Thread