+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rust Stains and Shadows on Cane

Hybrid View

Default Rust Stains and Shadows on Cane

Hey guys,

I'm refinishing a South Bend 359 and I'm adding some guides as well as repositioning some guides. Most of my projects have been restorations and since the guides on my restorations went back exactly where they came from these issues haven't come up. I need some advice on a couple of things.

1. The guides had "dirty feet" and left rust stains. What's the best way to remove rust stains from the bamboo?

2. What's the best way to remove the shadows on the cane from the old guide position wraps? I've used wood bleach on blonde cane before but the cane on this rod is flamed and is darker color. Will wood bleach make the flaming too light? How do you do this and still wind up with dark cane?

Thanks for the help!!
    Regards and WDE!!
    Bob L.

Default Darkness where the feet were....

I was at a loss for a minute but came up with this: what if you did your stain/dark spot removal the
    same way you did that on your blonde cane and then re-flamed that area if it appears too light?

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Cool To flame or not?

Did you know some of the early cane rods were not 'flamed' by heat? Or fire? Some were
    darkened by the use of wood stain. The 'Hunt" series by Leonard was done that way. You might check out color swatches of wood stain to see if there is a match?

+ Reply to Thread