I am so ready for the Spring Smallmouth fishing I can hardly wait. These cold, wet, high and muddy water creek days are killing me. So here's a little sample of what it can be on an afternoon to warm things up.

"A little afternoon love..."

Leaves falling, bubbles in the back eddys, water color has cleared, the amber glow of an afternoon sunset...ahhhh.... finally a refreshing afternoon on a local flow. I managed to get out and wet a line for the first time in a long while. Started out a little slow with the occasional goggle eye exploding on a white "one-bug" and a few pumpkin seed to throw into the mix. Was getting a little discouraged until a small sip on the surface turned into a thrashing explosion of water and pure brown excitement leaping across the stream on several attempts to throw the fly! Oh what a glorious site!

The top water action slowed but I noticed fish were still moving in the pools. Tied on a #4 Black on Black wooly worm with a red tail. Was if I had found the perfect fly for the afternoon. On the first cast I hooked up with a fish that was taking line and leaping through the air. It was wonderful to watch the outline of the fish and the spray of water through the afternoon sunset. It amazes me the quality of these fish for such a small stream. Very few places in North AL can hold up to the size of small mouth that can be caught on this creek. A few rivers maybe but only one other creek that I know of even holds a candle to this one.

Managed a dozen or so bream and 5 small mouth. I have been Blessed! I find very few things in life as exciting as catching a small mouth on a fly rod.

Downstream: One of the deepest sections on this entire creek.

Upstream: I Love the rocks and deep runs in this area. The fish like to hide along the edges and lips of these rocks in the back eddys.

Afternoon glow.

Best fish of the day for me- slightly over 3 1/2 lbs.