+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Looking for a new 2wt line...

Default Looking for a new 2wt line...

Hey everyone,

I've been looking for a new 2wt line to use on a few of my rods. I will be using it on several different rods (Orvis TLS 1wt, Cabela's Clear Creek 2wt, Scott V2 3wt), all 1,2,or 3wt rods. Its hard to nail down exactly which line I want to try next. Here is what I'm looking at:

Cortland Clear Creek WF2F
    Cortland 444 Peach DT2F
    SA XPS DT2F or WF2F (not sure which one I want)
    Sage Quiet Taper II WF2F

I've heard good things about all of these lines, so its hard to single out which ones I definitely do not want, although I've heard that Sage Quiet Taper has had some problems with premature cracking. Cortland 444 Peach seems like a good choice since its been around since the beginning of time and has a good reputation, but I'm not sure if thats the way I want to go or not. Seems like I'm leaning more toward the Cortland Clear Creek or the SA XPS, since I want to try a drab colored line, but color is not a real issue here. I'm looking for performance, durability, and ease of casting.

Do any of you use these lines? What do you like, dislike, etc. about them? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jake

Just received my Cortland Weight Forward Sylk Line, for my 7 weight South Bend Spilt Cane. Could not beleive how small the diameter is for the 7 weight Sylk Line in the Weight Forward Section. It is about half the diameter of my regular 444 7 weight line. Closes diameter comparison is my Cortland 333 line for my 3 weight Weight Forward Line.

Mustard Yellow, to mimic the original color of silk line, but the surface of the Sylk Line is pure 444, t is really slick and no memory in the line. When I placed it on as replacement for my regular 444 line (which was too large for the agate striping guide), I had half of the reel empty, with the new Sylk Line on. I had to splice in more backing about another 100 feet or so of backing, to fill the reel.

Now I have to wait for the weather to warm up above freezing to do some casting on my snow covered lawn to see how it casts.

Cannot believe it took this long for someone to figure out how to make PVC Line less bulky. I am glad they finally did it, just been nice if they started it sooner, than many more old split canes would still be in use.

~Parnelli

I have an XPS DT2F on my 2-weight and I like it very much. It's a slick line, and very little memory.

Dear BlueWingedOlive,

I have a DT2 Cortland Clear Creek line in smoke grey. While I like how the line performs as far as casting and fishability I have to say that the color stinks.

Most of my 2 weight fishing is done on small well-shaded streams and the grey color is impossible for me to follow as it drifts. You may think differently, but I will NEVER purchase a drab or dark colored line again. They give me headaches from eye strain!

Regards,
    Tim Murphy

[This message has been edited by Tim Murphy (edited 24 February 2005).]

BWO, RW here

I have the Cortland DT2F Peach on the spare spool of my Hardy fly weight reel, and use it on my Clear Creek 1 wt. It loads and casts like a dream. If you finally decide this is the line you want, you wont' be disappointed.

Later, RW

------------------
    "We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring on fishing the wet fly-
    "The value of trout is simply that they exist" <Frank Weisbarth>

Blog Entries

I have used the clear creek and the XPS DT, and would buy another XPS but not the Clear Creek. for a light rod like that a DT will work fine (heck, it will work fine on any trout rod, IMO) and you get two lines for the price of one. XPS is the only line I will pay retail for any more.

Dennis

+ Reply to Thread