+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: roll top desk

Default roll top desk

I have a opertunity to get a roll top desk for $85.00. I had thought about getting it for flytying. Does anyone here use one as their tying desk and how does it work for you? Is it worth the money spent. any advantages? thanks in advance

Bob

It would depend on the quality of the desk. My wife uses a secretary desk kinda the same premise; when she folds up the desk you can no longer see the mess or should I say her filing system.

If it a good quality I would jump on it for $85.00
    Thanks Old Man GO IRISH!

It is good quality made of oak and used a little. found it at the youth ranch so the money goes to a good cause.

I have a drop lid desk for fly tying that I've used for years. The main advantage, and I think this would apply to a roll-top too, is that I can quickly and easily conceal my tying mess. This is particularly handy if your desk is a living area and / or if you have pets around that might get into your stuff. My drop lid desk doesn't have as much work surface as I'd like, but I suspect a roll-top would have more work surface.

I've had a big roll top for years and love it, the only changes I did was to line the drawers with cedar. I holds a ton of stuff and has a large work area.
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

I upgraded my fly tying desk to a rolltop that I picked up from a local Goodwill store last year and I absolutely love it. Since I only got the desk top, I had to find an oak desk to match which I did through Craig's list. I customized it a bit by raising the height of the desk top about 4 inches which is a MUCH more comfortable height for me to tie flies. I found this out by researching what jewelers use for a bench and found that they use an elevated height to relieve the strain on their necks/backs. The "usual" height for a desk is around 31 inches which is perfect for writting, not for tying flies. I added a pull out work surface in the space where I elevated the desk top. I think that you will really enjoy a roll top desk, especailly if you're like many of us that don't clean your desk in between tying sessions. I know that my wife likes it a lot better than my old desk for that very reason.

Jim Smith

Roll top desks are the best thing to have if you have the space and at $85.00 I would be making space for it!

Currently I have a massive office desk that I got for $40 from my previous employers but my wife says it has to go as it takes up too much room. Too much room? It has it's own room!

That is a nice take on the Bureau set up with the two independent parts, must be a pleasure to sit at!

After 30 years of tying Im not sure any desk is large enough to hold all my stuff. Still, its nice to able to slam that top down on my roll top to cover up the mess. Im sure the wife appreciates it. Remember :"if Mamas not happy, nobodys happy."

Blog Entries

I would get the desk for 85 dollars.

James, your desk is neat, and I love the idea of the jeweler desk being raised...if I get a desk one of these days...I would like to raise it too. Thanks for that idea.
    Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by James Smith View Post
    I upgraded my fly tying desk to a rolltop that I picked up from a local Goodwill store last year and I absolutely love it. Since I only got the desk top, I had to find an oak desk to match which I did through Craig's list. I customized it a bit by raising the height of the desk top about 4 inches which is a MUCH more comfortable height for me to tie flies. I found this out by researching what jewelers use for a bench and found that they use an elevated height to relieve the strain on their necks/backs. The "usual" height for a desk is around 31 inches which is perfect for writting, not for tying flies. I added a pull out work surface in the space where I elevated the desk top. I think that you will really enjoy a roll top desk, especailly if you're like many of us that don't clean your desk in between tying sessions. I know that my wife likes it a lot better than my old desk for that very reason.

Jim Smith

My setup is a desktop that I put into a cup board and a fold up table that hides away. It works for me because space is limited. That being said, I tend to lack in the neatness/organizational skills and the roll top is perfect. When I get an upgrade in space, that is the way to go. If the mess overwhelms anyone else, just roll down the desk... Awesome!

+ Reply to Thread