+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Native Watercraft Ultimate 12

Default Native Watercraft Ultimate 12

Its been a long time since I have posted here. Hope everyone is well.

I am finally approaching the date of buying a kayak...my 40th birthday is coming up in March. I had initially honed in on a Tarpon 120 by Wilderness Systems but have since changed my mind to a Native Ultimate 12.

Does anyone have any experience of fishing from one?

Thanks

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AGrant View Post
    Its been a long time since I have posted here. Hope everyone is well.

I am finally approaching the date of buying a kayak...my 40th birthday is coming up in March. I had initially honed in on a Tarpon 120 by Wilderness Systems but have since changed my mind to a Native Ultimate 12.

Does anyone have any experience of fishing from one?

Thanks

I fish from a 14.5 and love. I would supposed the 12 would be very similar. The 14.5 is fast, tracks VERY straight and is stable. Plus, you can carry a lot of gear if you have to.
    Last edited by SteveGibson; 01-31-2009 at 12:17 PM.
    Steve

Thanks. Just got back tonight from driving to Baton Rouge, LA to pick up my ultimate 12. Its great. Going paddeling/fishing tomorrow. Its supposed to be in the 60s tomorrow afternoon so I am at least going to get to paddle it - with my rod of course. I think its going to be plenty big. I sat ina 14.5 and it seemed overwhelming to me how big it was. My 5 year old son sat in the 12 with me today and there is plenty of room for us both in it for short trips. I'm pumped. Thanks for the reply.

AGrant; you can PM Big Bad Wulff on this site, he's got some time on one.

Also, their site with Forums...

http://www.lwnog.com/
    http://georgiariverfishing.com/GAart...Ultimate12.htm
    http://www.nativewatercraft.com/

Enjoy your ride, Jim

Smile

So, I got my kayak this past Friday. What an awesome boat. Its everything I've been told about: stable, smooth, roomy, easy to cast from, light weight, manoverable, etc etc etc. I am very pleased with it.

I got out Saturday afternoon, air temp was around 62, but water temps were down in the high 40s, so the fish were still a bit sluggish. Main reason for getting out saturday was, well, I have a new boat and want to get it in the water. Duh! I cast with a bait cast rod and real as well as with my 6wt fly rod to see how the boat would perform. Perfect. Really easy to fish from. I missed one bass and caught one. Man, the one I caught was cold! Like I said, the water was really cold.

I got it out again on Sunday afternoon and just paddled with a friend and his kids. I brought along my 5 year old son and he fit perfect in the front of the boat. He was a little apprehensive at first but got settled in a loved it. He will make many more trips with me till he's old enough to paddle one himself.

If you are looking for a kayak, you owe it to yourself to at least look at Native Watercraft. I got the Ultimate 12 solo.

AGrant, that is good to hear. i as well want an ulitmate, and have a 5year old son, and that was one thing i was worried about is how well he can fit. it sounds like that boat is everything it says it is. i have heard nothing but positive feedback from people like you who own one. what accessories did you get on your boat?

Blog Entries

Congrats! You reallyl can't beat an Ultimate.
    Steve

good choice.
    i have a tarpon 140 and the ultimate 14.5 tandem. both are good boats and serve their purposes well.
    i use the 14.5 solo for fishing and convert to tandem with my wife up front and my 4 yr old in the middle.
    the t140 i'll take into open waters.
    the stability of the ultimate 14.5 is fantastic and the seat is unmatched. you can fish all day in that boat without getting the numb butt.

Quote Originally Posted by jallen317 View Post
    AGrant, that is good to hear. i as well want an ulitmate, and have a 5year old son, and that was one thing i was worried about is how well he can fit. it sounds like that boat is everything it says it is. i have heard nothing but positive feedback from people like you who own one. what accessories did you get on your boat?
    I have not gotten any accessories yet. I want to spend some time in the boat first before I start adding to it. I know I want a depth finder, but beyond that, just not sure yet because I have not spent enough time in it. I will keep everyone posted.

Your 5 year old son should fit perfect as mine did. I was really amazed at how much room both of us had in the boat. I need to get him a camp chair type seat, but for now, he's really doing well in the boat. Of course he wants to get out and go to the playground, but then again, he's 5.

+ Reply to Thread