+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What to look for in a Canoe

My second and final comment on your thread is to advise, in the strongest possible terms, that you test in the water any canoe before buying it.

I bought mine this Nov. from TG in San Marcos, TX. They put it in a pickup and took me to the river and waited, telling me to take as long as I wanted to for the test ride. They INSISTED I test it in the water before buying!!!

After two kayaks, my 13 ft. Wenonah Fusion is definetly more "tippy" than a sit-on top yak, but I quickly became used to this.

I like the added height of the canoe seat for casting a fly rod--from a yak I felt as though I was sitting in a hole, although I spent many hours fly fishing in the Laguna Madre of S. TX. from a yak.
    No man can have too many fly rods;
    no woman too many shoes.

Belated but heres another twist to the yarn:
    For the past 10 years or so, I have fished from a 20 ft cedar strip canoe - absolutely wonderful for two people - My advice would be to try out as many as you can - demo day should be coming up everywhere shortly - best timeinvestment you can make. My experience has been that you want to go as long as you can comfortably handle, I personally wouldn't go under 18' if it's a 2 man flyfishing operation - separation is a beautiful thing, especially when fishing bead/cone heads.... Oh also important to establish some rules when fishing 2 people - unless the frontman is a schoolteacher - you know - eyes in the back of the head - always call your casting...saves a lot of tangles. Driftanchors are a great way to control the canoe on lakes - one at each end will keep you going straight downwind, and you can control your driftspeed with the size of the bag - make them yourself, and adjustable...In terms of handling/lifting - I'm not exactly the worlds strongest guy, but had no trouble handling and racking thet 20 footer (105 lbs) myself - mostly its a matter of technique and a good roof rack setup.
    I also got a long paddle with a wide blade - 9" to give better control, and made a removable seat to fit over the gunnels about 3/5's of the way from the bow - perfect for solo paddling a long boat..Finally learn to J-stroke - also backwards - very effective on lakes and ponds, you can back up the boat without the frontguy even noticing....;^0
    I just gave the boat away to a buddy - will be missing it, but it would not be practical where I'm moving..
    Good luck in your quest..
    Ulrik

Ulrik,
    Thanks.

I'm thinking of a canoe or one of the hybrids or evern a pontoon. The only thing about a pontoon is it seems like it would be a pain to set up and take down everytime I go fishing. I don't have a truck (just a mini van) and I don't think one would fit in the van so I"m roof racking it.

I also like paddling a canoe. There's something kind of peaceful about gliding across the lake in a canoe.

I used to be pretty good paddling one but I haven't been in a canoe for 20+ years. OK, two years ago I rented one to take my mom and dad down a river in Florida for a couple hours, but that's about it for my recent canoe outings.

Probably 80% of the time I'll be solo the other will be with my son. When I'm fishing with him, I mainly play "guide" and let him catch the fish.

I've been looking around and it seems there are a fair number of used ones for sale around here and I would imagine more come spring.

Thanks everyone for all the great suggestions.

Jeff

Did you ever think about a small jon boat? I've bought a cheap 10 footer (a Landau?) years, weighs about 50 pounds, run around small lakes and ponds with a trolling motor. Stable enough to stand and cast from it. Handles two people. I used to slide it into the back of a Dodge Colt and go. I slip it up on my Kayak racks easily. I have a 14 footer that I use when I need my motor, but anywhere I could fish with a canoe, I can also use the jon boat. I was actually looking into buying a canoe for fishing, and after much consideration decided to repair my jon boat.

Randall Sale
    the Kytroutbum

Default Jon boat

I'll second the vote for the jon boat.
    I've had mind for many years and I've
    tried to talk myself into selling it but
    can't bring myself to do it. 11.5 foot
    Sears and it's all the boat I need for
    the places I'd bother using any kind of
    watercraft. Sold the tube, will sell the
    pontoon soon's I can and won't consider
    a canoe. Have even had someone give
    me a canoe...never used it.

Kayak...hmmm...now that might be the
    way to go since my jon weighs 75 lbs.
    and I can't put it on a rack. Kayak I could

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

I have a sit in kayak and have issuses trying to cast out of it. I bascially use it to get from one place to another to wade.

Default Casting position in a kayak...

I've heard of that Kytb and before I ever buy a kayak I'll have to try just
    that to see if the seating arrangements even allow me to cast.

So far I haven't found a place near me that rents kayaks so I'll have to go
    to the coast I guess...guess I'll have to fish a lagoon or two while I'm there too !

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

+ Reply to Thread