+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to look for in a Canoe

Hybrid View

Default What to look for in a Canoe

I'm considering picking up a canoe this spring.

I'll mainly be fishing slow moving warm water streams and lakes / ponds. I would guess 70% of my fishing will be on lakes / ponds 10 acres and smaller with perhaps a few slightly larger lakes in the 200 acre size range.

Most of the streams would be slow moving warm water streams.

I'd like to have the canoe big enough to hold my son and I and our fishing gear. I can't see us using it for back country camping.

I would like it to be light weight enough that I could get it up on the van roof by myself if needed.

I've been in rental canoes a lot of times an haven't dumped one that I did not intend to flip, but am not really excited about the idea of flipping one in a lake while fishing.

So, for stability and fishing, what should I be looking for?

Aluminum, fibreglass (plastic) what's the advantages of one over another?

I love the wood cones, but like with bamboo fly rods, they can be pricy and I imagine heavy.

what about square stern and trolling motors?

As you can see I have a ton o questions.

I'd really like to hear your all perspective on this.

Jeff

Blog Entries

Jeff,

You might want to check out Native Watercraft's Ultimate 14.5. It's a "hybrid." It's sort of a cross between a kayak and canoe. They come in tandem and solo. If you get the tandem, you and your son can go. You can convert it to a solo in about 5 minutes.

Great boat. Paddles nicely, tracks straight and is fairly fast. Also, lot of room for gear.

Link: http://www.nativewatercraft.com/ult_14T.cfm

I highly recommend this over a canoe.
    Last edited by SteveGibson; 01-25-2009 at 02:01 AM.
    Steve

Blog Entries

For many years I spent a lot of time in canoes. I have built many from wood and canvas and mostly wood and fiberglass.

Building a canoe of wood and fiberglass is surprisingly easy... IF you are so inclined...

I do not like the plastic canoes and especially if I lived where it was warm. I have seen them "slump" from being tilted against a tree for a while in the sun.

I believe in wide... Longer canoes of narrower beam will paddle faster with less effort and will track better, especially when fighting a wind. How much difference will that really make where your small pond expectations are concerned? Especially if you run a kicker any time you run far.

Bracket mounted motors will work fine on double-ender canoes and can be removed easily. They provide a more natural and comfortable steering arrangement.

For many years we ran a bare-bones canoe for fishing, bird hunting, floating and trapping. It was 18' with a 42" beam and two thwarts, no seats. Styrofoam blocks provided moveable seats making the ends almost instantly swappable without changing places. An advantage to this is the designated caster can move back between the thwarts to fish the shoreline without leaning against a gunwhale and affecting the stability.

Having one person paddle while the other fishes is the best way to run a canoe, IMO&E.
    art

I own and recommend the NuCanoe. It is a cross between a canoe and a kayak. I really enjoy mine. I find it very east you paddle with a double paddle, converts from solo to 2-person in seconds, very stable and weighs in around 60 pounds.

Best of all, they are a sponsor of FAOL.

www.nucanoe.com
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

I have an 18' fiberglass that is pretty wide. It is cold and I don't have shoes on right now, so I'm not gonna go measure it. Stable as a rock. Heavy. I can carry it by myself, but I don't like to.

The seats are awful. Hap's post above makes me wonder if I could axe the seats and try another option.

Also, you should look for bees. I find them often when I go to load mine.

Default What to look for in a Canoe....

No water.....

Sorry, been at work for 13hours, so I'm a little slap happy. Luckily I'm done for the week.

4 days off here I come.

Black_Co

I'll second Steve's recommendation....a Native Ultimate 14.5 for a tandem....a Ultimate 12 for solo.
    For the water types you listed, and knowing you're a fly fisherman, the Ultimate will give you stability unlike any canoe. You can even stand to cast in a Ultimate.
    Mark 1:17

The Old Town Camper is an excellent boat that would easily fit your described needs.

Thanks for the replies.
    I like the idea of the hybrid canoe/kyak things. They may be out of my price range though.

I'm probably going to have to pick up something used. My price celing is probably going to be in the sub $1000 range. I'd really like to keep it below $800 if possible.

If I see one of the hybrids for sale, I'll pounce on it. My guess is that there are far fewer of these for sale than the standard canoes out there.

Jeff

Jeff,

The NuCanoes are well within your price range. I believe the 10' is around $600 and the 12' is around $800.

You may want to check into them. Go to Sponsor page and "click" on their logo. There is a dealer here in Lynchburg, TN. It is: Tim's Flies & Lies fly shop.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

+ Reply to Thread