+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "wacky style" pattern ideas?

...or...just had another thought...what about a chenille wound around the shaft of a pheasant tail? (Just thinking a turkey feather shaft or peacock tail shaft might be too stiff,.) That feather shaft should give it some stiffness, while allowing some movement when slowly retrieved?

Although the chenille when wet might be a bit heavy. The feather shaft not very durable (would probably break when you set the hook), but would provide the stiffness while remaining lightweight.

OK...maybe overall NOT a good idea?

I've got some titanium leaders I use for pike that might give some action and durability, and also doesn't kink. Wrap one of those with chenille.
    Or just use a very STIFF monofilament line for the core beneath the chenille/feathers/leather/bugskin?
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Default How it's done

This one's actually pretty easy guys and gals. Of the options below, I have tried them all but usually use option #1. I'm not a real wacky worm fan, but have caught bass on them.

The neatest way is, of course, hook on a 4" plastic worm -- but then is it fly fishing? So this doesn't count as an option.

To be more fly fishing creative you have to address the issue of getting the fly to sink.
    Option #1 is to use tube fly tubing and don't seal the ends. Hook a 4-6 inch piece crossways through the middle and fish away. Because tubing comes in a variety of colors and diameters, you can make a variety of wacky worms.
    Option #2 is to cut three 1/4 inch wide strips of fun foam 4-6" long -- olive and orange and yellow. Glue them together (long ways) with super glue so you have a foam sandwich (like a chernobl on steroids). Taper the ends with scissors. This color combination is called wild fire tiger (hot bass color). Hook the WFT worm through the middle on a lead headed jig hook (otherwise it won't sink).
    Option #3 is to buy wire stem chenille from Michael's or Hobby Lobby. Cut a piece and twist around the hook shank. If you use a barbed hook (shame on you) it will not come off. If you use a barbless hook (applause) you will have to put a layer of thread on the hook bend and then super glue the chenille to the thread.

thanks for the replies so far. has anyone tries braiding/ tying a few strands of rubber legs together? it would make it a little heavier but still have good action.

Default Braiding....

No, but you've just given me a great idea and next time I sit down to tye a wacky I'll braid black hackles together ... and that should give me the bulk that just one feather per side of my
    current wacky lacks. Thanks WWFF.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Haven't tried it yet, but what about furled yarn? Furling it should give it some stiffness but it should remain soft enough to move a lot.

6. Default

This is probably cheating, but what about using the stuff they make gummy minnows out of? You can layer it and cut to shape. You can put weight under it on the hook shank....just enough to get the propper sink rate.

Default Mylar collar

How about taking a 1/2" piece of mylar tubing and sliding it halfway down a plastic worm. I would think a touch of adhesive would hold it and keep it from tearing off during the cast.
    To Miss Nancy - She hated fishing, but loved a fisherman.

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

Has anybody tried braiding Larvae Lace, and tying it perdendicular? For more weight, you could tie a pair of Barbell eyes in the center.
    Last edited by Gigmaster; 01-30-2009 at 04:31 PM.

I tried this last night. I didn't measure it, but would guess its about 2" long, on a #4 hook.

Here's a thread spool/bobbin for size comparison:

The rubber is thick, which should attract some bass. The movement should be pretty good, too. Its that type of rubber than you can stretch a LONG WAY, so durability should be decent (kind of hard to test this right now, with 14" of ice on the lakes). To help brace it, I cross-tied 2 "koosh-ball" rubber band legs around the "worm" and the hook shank. I tightened the rubber bands as good as I could. A pair of fly-tying pliers came in very handy for manipulating the rubber bands to make the knots.

It isn't as light as something made from feathers would be, but it should catch fish. The yellow one in the picture, I obviously just threaded onto a hook. That'll probably work too.

I found these big "rubber worm" while I was standing in the checkout lane at Michael's craft store.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

+ Reply to Thread