I ride a hopped up 1200 Sportster which happens to be my main fly fishing and rabbit hunting machine. It's fast and loud but it's within legal limits and it handles good on backroads. The Sporty gets 48 miles per gallon and that's a whole lot better than driving my 4x4 3/4 pickup (15 mpg) in most cases. I won't apologize to anyone for my choice of transportation.

I have a sissy bar with a rack and I own several travel rods. If I stay local, I simply tie a couple of travel rods to the rack and carry my vest in a leather saddlebag. If I camp and fish I lash a Kelty backpack with ski loops to the sissy bar and carry the travel rods in the ski loops. I tried carrying long two piece rods but they take up too much room and bump against tree limbs and bushes when you least expect it.

I rode to the Black Hills during bike week last year and camped out at Deerfield lake. My brother-in-law from MN joined me there and we spent more time fishing and hiking than biking. I miissed the 2005 Rally but I intend to be back in 2006. At least two of my good travel rods will be coming with me.