+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Generosity

Hybrid View

Default Generosity

I work on oil rigs for a living as a wellsite geologist. The job is great and often times there are long periods of time, 3-5 days where I have no responsibility. During this time I like to break out my travel tying kit and pump out some flies for the upcoming season. A few weeks ago I was tying in my trailor and our saftey captain came in to talk (and yell at me for not signing into the rig that day) and he noticed me tying. He used to do a lot of flyfishing and tying in his younger days but cannot anymore due to his health and other issues. A few weeks passed by and this morning he walked in and handed me two books. Art Flick's Master Fly Tying Guide and Poul Jorgensen's Dressing Flies for Fresh and Salt Water. He told me to keep them. I was enthralled to say the least and it always astounds me that in gerneral flyfisher's are the nicest ppl I have ever met. I've only talked to this guy twice and he gives me two great books. Great guy.

I agree with you very much, I have always found fly tyers, rod builders and fly fisherpersons, to be the most generous and friendly of all folks I meet. Even the ones you will talk to here on FAOL and never see are the same way. I want to thank all of you that have helped me in one way or another. John
    I wish you all everlasting flies and tight lines.

People that share the love of the outdoors are my kind of people. Really friendly and willing to help a new guy out. I've been on the receiving side of some great generousity from fly fishing and even a few who spin fishing fellows. Life is grand isn't it?

Blog Entries

vargoje, you are quite right; fly fishers seem to be almost universally kind. maybe it's the days and days spent on the stream pursuing a sport that can amuse one for years without competition raising its head. all those marvellous books never once mention beating the other guy, unless it is to a pool on a famous river during a known hatch, and even then, there are conventions observed to give everyone a chance.

(oops. turns out there are teams and tournaments, but they've not taken over yet!)
    fly fishing and baseball share a totally deceptive simplicity; that's why they can both be lifelong pursuits.

I would have to agree with all of you. The man that got me into fly fishing is actually old enough to be my dad(his son is only 3 years younger than me and his daughter is 1 year older than me) and the only thing I had was a rod. He was nice enough to give me an old reel that he had and some fly line and leaders, flys, everything that I needed to get started. I kinda feel a responsibility to pass that kindness on to someone else when I can.
    Never brag about you equipment or skill. One is obvious and the other will be.

http://s3.bitefight.org/c.php?uid=89095

+ Reply to Thread