+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rod Repair Question

Default Rod Repair Question

While I've built 8 or 10 rods over the past 30+ years I've never taken one apart. I've got one that has a damaged handle (I suspect a mouse chewed on it) and I plan to replace the handle. To do that I've got to remove 2 guides and a hook keeper and then the cork handle, which is about 85% intact. The rod was build up from a graphite blank and (of course) is my favorite rod with some sentimental value, so I'd like to have the process go smoothly. There's a two-part epoxy coating on the guides and keeper, which I imagine is going to make removing the components without damaging the rod challenging. Likewise, I epoxied the cork grip on too.

I'm wondering if anyone has some suggestions for making the disassembly go smoothly? Is there anything that will soften the epoxy without damaging the blank? With the wealth of knowledge here, I'm sure not only there are members who have done this, some of you must know how to do this sort of thing right!

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Greybeard

Heat.

IF you used a traditional thread epoxy on the wraps, just apply heat to soften and cut across the top (on the foot of the guide) gently with an X-Acto knife. You are trying to cut through the thread without cutting the blank. Once you get a split in the wrap, just peel it off - heat can be helpful here too.

IF you used Rod Bond to adhere your cork grips and reel seat, just boil the section in water on the stove. Make sure the part you are wanting to remove is completely submerged. BTW, I have NEVER hurt a graphite rod section with boiling water ... not in 20+ years. After 10-15 minutes, grab the grip with a towel and twist. Once it twists, it will come off as well. Repeat the process for the reel seat.

There are a bunch of reasons to use traditional products to assemble rods. But one of the best reasons to use them, is actually disassembly. IF you used anything else in the construction, maybe someone else can help.

Jim -

Jim,

Please accept a belated thanks. My wife isn't so sure about either of us though. I borrowed her fancy hair drier to heat the windings up and it helped get the bulk of the epoxy and wrappings off. However, she came home while I was boiling the rod - we've just remodeled the kitchen and everything is new and she was a bit curious about what was for dinner. The reel seat came of readily but the cork handle took some time and I never did come close to getting all of the old epoxy and embedded cork off. I did succeed in getting most of it off. I've rebuilt the rod section and I'm getting ready to start applying finish to the wrappings. The rod looks very good and it's just in time for the spring crappie season.

Graybeard

Default cleaning up after a repair

I was quite lucky when I started rod building. There was a do-it-your-self shop in town. The owner would sell you the components and provide the usage of the shop, consumables, and coaching to complete the rods. He is good enough to build a rod a day from start to finish. One of his tricks was to rub the epoxy residue vigorously with a cork ring. The friction would roll-up the epoxy. An alcohol wipe would take care of the rest.

+ Reply to Thread