+ Reply to Thread

Thread: On line magazine "This is fly"

Default On line magazine "This is fly"

Have been reading "This is fly" mag on line. Geared to the younger, hi tech, alternative music type reader (my description). Has some good articles presented differently than most ff mags. Might want to sample, but may not be for everyone.

Default Not for me

I've read it from time to time, and I cannot stand it. It's "grunge" design is painful to look at and it's just way too hipster for me. But that's just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by SquatchHunter View Post
    I've read it from time to time, and I cannot stand it. It's "grunge" design is painful to look at and it's just way too hipster for me. But that's just my opinion.
    You know they published your letter, right?

Default I saw that.

I saw the original letter, then the next issue when the entire 'letters' section was dedicated to bashing me. But I did get a little support in the most recent 'letters' section. And I've received personal e-mails from others in support. I'm not trying to bash the e-zine. I just got sick of reading the lavish praise that everyone had for it (ie "you're magazine is SICK..."), and i wanted to make it known that there are some dissenting opinions out there.

Have to agree with the critics. Read this mag when it first came out. The publishers clearly spend more time on creating cool graphic designs than providing useful information. The writing is annoying, there's more advertising than a printed magazine, and that interface is hideous.

Guess hip urbanites are just more interested in flash than content...

Default Urbanites/grundge/hip/hideous/et. al

That's 'cause a 'stream dinna run through it' and us poor urbanites (well I used to be) only
    get/got to go fly fishing a couple of times a year.

I've not looked at the 'This is Fly' ezine but unless it hurts my eyes I would.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Maybe ill check it out. I just used a B&N gift card to buy some FF magazines and try them out.

i read through the 2 most recent issues, i enjoyed the articles, although they could use better proofreading.
    Joe

uhh...nevermind

I pretty much skip over the ads and graphics and read the articles if they appear interesting to me. I did enjoy the 3 part piece about a ff excursion to Coney Island in NYC. Had read other articles about ff in the City and to me, this one seemed to present the real flavor (my perception)of fishing in the "Big Apple". Also, it is good to see younger people enthused about the sport. Some of the stuff in the mag may not interest me, but if it generates ff interest for the young crowd, that is good IMO. I just hope the interest is for the fishing itself and not "just being trendy". Is it just "special effects" overshadowing the sport? I don't know.... any opinions?

+ Reply to Thread