+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old idea, still...

Default Old idea, still...

Those old flies you have that you think won't catch fish,will... I heard this over and over the last few years on here, I was sitting here thinking as I was tying some flies from the tying forum, and didn't like one I was tying cause of maybe the hackle was too stiff, I started remembering last summer. Last summer I found myself short on flies except the ones I was almost sure would not catch fish, so I decided to just enjoy the outing and cast the flies. guess what? yep, I caught fish, so when everyone is saying save your flies even if you don't think they look so great, do it, lol I can be a little hard headed sometimes, but I htink it finally sunk in with me and I'm glad it did, it also takes some stress outa tying and adds more pleasure to it... For me...

2. Default Ideas

Sometimes ya gotta tie what "feels good." The fish don't care It's the fishermen that care! Flies are not meant to fool fish. They're meant to fool fishermen

Or, the reverse. Me.

One terrific summer afternoon on the South Branch of the Au Sable river in Michigan, just upstream of Canoe Harbour, I fished for at least three hours with an all white fly (miller type I guess) given to me by a fellow camper. I trusted that the fly was a 'killer' and worked it hard. I happen to remember the fishing vividly, so much in fact that to this day I do not own nor have ever again fished an all white fly. The memories of that outing are still that intense. One of the most remarkable things about it all is that I did not hook solidly nor land a single trout although I rose many. Only, when at the end of the day and I removed my fly did I notice that the tip of the hook had been broken off much earlier in the afternoon on a small log I had snagged.

I had failed at so many things that day that I have never wanted to do anything to water down the memories. Besides, how good could an all white fly be anyhow...

Hey, Castwell,

"check your fly" don't just mean look down to the front of your pants!!!!!!

Guess that's why Dave Whitlock calls his flies "near nuff" 'cause any scuzzy critter the fish will eat is fine.

Grubb, agree with you 101%. Fish the scummy ones I tie anyway.

JC, You brought back memories of my first ever fly fishing soiree. Went to a fee fishing stream assured of catching a limit and some big 'uns. Kept getting rises and "hits"; but, couldn't hook a one. Finally examined my fly real closely and discoved that it was broken off almost at the bend. Was one of those real cheepie things from gawd knows where. It was painful.

If I miss two takes in a row ...that fly gets checked...well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I like to cary a hook hone and check any hook that gets hung up on trees or rocks. A dull hook is almost as useless as a broken one.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

You mean we are supposed to Actually catch fish with them things we tie?

Tim,
    You've seen the ugly flies I tie, but the darned things STILL catch fish! I am convinced it's 'cuz the fish think they're easy prey.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Hey Bill, only on the flies that are big enough for the fish to see them.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

+ Reply to Thread