Not really sure why so many have to beat up on BPS or Cabellas unless it just seemd to be the popular thing to do. My experience at BPS has always been good and when I first got into fly fishing, the staff there was very helpful and got me started with a decent rod and reel and all the other goodies without costing me a fortune. Prior to going to BPS, I also visited some local fly shops and can honestly say the service and attitude of some of the owners could not even compare with the help at BPS. Forexample: Needed a new net and did not want to mortgage the house to afford it. One local shop stuck a $65.00 net in my hands, saying they don't carry anything cheaper and made me feel like I was some kind of cheapskate for not wanting to spend that much. Anyhow.....out the door!! Found a very nice net at BPS for under $25.00 which does all a net is designed to do.
I still shop at BPS when I need something "right now" but do prefer a local fly shop at Branson, MO because of their outstanding service and knowledge of the Owners and the selection available. I also use some of our sponsors from time to time and appreciate their service and professionalism.
The employees I know at BPS are all fishermen and know the local waters. Most are retired and this is their post retirement job. And they do know trout fishing and fly tying.
I do agree with a few others posting......owning a fly shop in itself is no guarantee of either good service and never will be. I do want to see the good fly shops succeed and and stay in business and if I get what I pay for, will do my best to support them. If not,
then they don't deserve my business.
Anyhow.....so much for that.
Regards
Crackleback (Bob A)