+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Furled leaders

Default Furled leaders

Does anyone on the board make their own furled leaders out of just mono,I was considering purchasing some from ebay but they did not have what i was looking for. I have used on on my 1 wt and its a pretty nice rig. Pm me if you are capable of this kind of craftsmanship. Thank you in advance, heinrich

Not quite sure what you are asking, flybugpa, but furling folks make leaders out of all kinds of stuff.....

flybugpa;
    As Duckster stated you can make furled leaders from any material on the same board. I have a dimensional diagram I can pm you for a very basic board that makes simple but very effective leaders.

What length are you interested in? My drawing is for a 7' leader but can be modified for shorter.

The board it's self is very easy to construct, sort of a wood shop 101 project.

I make my leaders from few different things:

Fly tying thread, 5lb test power pro superbraid, Coates and Clark quilting thread...

The board is not difficult to make and the leaders themseves are a cinch... Here is a decent site:
    http://www.peninsulaflyfishers.org/T...ed_leader.html
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

fbp,
    I used Jacks pattern for the furling board "with modifications" so I could furl 3' and a 5' leaders. Uni-mono is available in clear and smoke, and makes dandy furled leaders!! <please be aware ... if I can build the board, and make furled leaders, anyone can!!>
    Betty
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

I make mono leaders in five and seven foot lengths. I had been using thread up until a couple of years ago, but find I prefer the overall performance of the mono.

I think the thread leaders are perhaps a bit more supple, but since you can turn over very long tippets, you do get a very good drift in either case. I think the mono leader are definitely more robust and long lasting.

There are alot of types of mono available, I think the key is to use the right material along with the right formula. It also important to have a good method of attaching your leader to your tippet, you want to be sure that you efficiently transfer the energy from the leader to the tippet. If there is a hinge point, it can cause problems,

When you get everything right, they are a pure pleasure to fish.
    "People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" -
    John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo

http://www.tenkaraflyfish.blogspot.com/

Default I Roll My Own - Leaders That Is...

Flybugpa, I've furled my own mono leaders now for the past two+ years and wouldn't consider using anything else. The difference is that I don't use a jig or anything else but my own two hands.

I can furl a half-dozen in half an hour, although, since they are so durable, I don't need too many each season and end up giving most away just so someone else can have the pleasure of casting a dream of a leader.

They turn over like butter, yet they have the backbone to deliver larger dries using a 12' leader. I usually tie a four footer for streamers and anything between 5 and 12 feet for other applications. My favorites are 7-9' for nymphing (depending on the water), and 9-14' for dry flies and/or spring creeks (my favorite).

I use 2x Maxima in Chameleon or Ultragreen. The leaders end up with a loop-to-loop connection in both ends and are a snap to change when needed.

I just read this post and was anxious to respond, so I don't have all the details, but I will get you the info ASAP so you can start on your own. The learning curve is short, with extremely professional results for the time and money.

On the other hand there are some out there who tie up a really nice non-mono furled leader for dry flies (like John Scott), I've tried them, and can see their application, but I'm sold on the mono ones I now tie.
    I'll get you the details soon.

If you'd like, or anyone else (I'm sure I'm getting in way over my head here) I'd be glad to send you a sample with the instructions. This is nothing new as I learned the method several years ago from an article in one of the publications I subscribe to(sorry, can't remember which one - I will try to track it down though). I have made some modifications in using only 2x Climax for most of my trouting applications.

I did use heavier mono (Ox) for a Silver Salmon trip to Kodiak Island in 2007 and they performed without failure or flaw.

Hope this helps.

Kelly
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Kelly,

I'd be really interested to find out more about how you make your leaders without a jig. I have a hard time not getting tangled up using a fixture, plus it sounds like you can crank them out alot faster than I can using a jig.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
    "People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" -
    John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo

http://www.tenkaraflyfish.blogspot.com/

9. Default

Kglissmeyer,

I probably read the same article. I too have been making my own mono furled leaders, and have used them for a few years now. I wouldn't trade them for anything. Instead of knots, I now whip finish the sections with some fly tying thread and coat it with a little "Knot Sense". I use regular mono (Trilene). 4 lb for lighter lines (2-3 wt), 6lb for mid range (3-5wt) and 8 pound for my bass line (6-8wt). BTW 6lb Trilene = 2x diameter. I tie them as short as 3.5' long for my 7' small stream trout rod, and up to 7' long to build a delicate taper out to a 15' finished leader length. 5' is the average for my 9' rod which builds out well to a 10' or 11' finished leader. I have some of my homemade furled leaders that are 3 seasons old and still going strong.

The furled leaders I make perform well. What I like most is that I can turn over a bigger fly well OR execute a slack cast with ease with the same leader. They work well for slack casts since they are much more supple and have little or no memory, unlike regular knotted mono leaders with butts tied with stiff mono. I seem to get a better drag-free float with them. I use a furled butt and a George Harvey type taper for the mid and tip section. I coat the butt end with a little muscilin and it floats like a cork all day and mends well. Good stuff.
    Last edited by afishinado; 01-19-2009 at 05:15 PM.

Default furled leader help

The amount of help I recieved on this board has ben phenominal, thank you all for your guidance and instruction. Best, heinrich

+ Reply to Thread